Im New to Imac was a PC user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 1ghz 256mb ram
Hello this is my 1st post.

Ive won an Imac. Yipee!!!
Im a PC user and have only used an apple computer once before 5 years ago. I tried the one Ive won today in PCWORLD and its very stylish and swish but aint got the foggiest what I can do with it.
I use my PC currently for burning DVD/CD's and internet as Ive got a PS2 for gaming.

The one Ive won is the 999 quid cheapest current imac model.

So questions:

Will my software from my PC work on it?
Such as Microsoft office 97/2000?

It comes with an internal 56k modem but Ive got BT broadband- will it be as simple as plugging my adsl modem into the usb port installing the BT software and going online?

Ive just bough an internal DVD writer which I would like to install in my new IMAC but I doubt this can be done- the new IMAC comes with CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo driver but I would prefer DVD-r capability. Is it possible to buy upgrades from APPLE?

What features has my new IMAC got which a PC has not apart from looking prettier?

Any other information is aprreciated which could be relevant.

Last question do you think I'l ever change back to PC.

Cheers sorry for all the questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
sexymuffin said:
Hello this is my 1st post.

Ive won an Imac. Yipee!!!
Im a PC user and have only used an apple computer once before 5 years ago. I tried the one Ive won today in PCWORLD and its very stylish and swish but aint got the foggiest what I can do with it.
I use my PC currently for burning DVD/CD's and internet as Ive got a PS2 for gaming.

The one Ive won is the 999 quid cheapest current imac model.

Congrats thats still a great prize

sexymuffin said:
So questions:

Will my software from my PC work on it?
Such as Microsoft office 97/2000?

Unfortunately most software will not work straight from the PC CD especially microsoft products. You will have to look at the system requirements for cd and see if they list the mac requirements or have a mac logo on the disc or jewel case

sexymuffin said:
It comes with an internal 56k modem but Ive got BT broadband- will it be as simple as plugging my adsl modem into the usb port installing the BT software and going online?

I am not familiar with ADSL or BT's methods of connecting so I can't help here but there are some BT users on the board I believe

sexymuffin said:
Ive just bough an internal DVD writer which I would like to install in my new IMAC but I doubt this can be done- the new IMAC comes with CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo driver but I would prefer DVD-r capability. Is it possible to buy upgrades from APPLE?

I don't think that apple sells superdrives and I am pretty sure you can't bring it to a store to get upgraded but I have not tried this nor do I have an iMac

sexymuffin said:
What features has my new IMAC got which a PC has not apart from looking prettier?

Much stabler, more secure (viruses, spyware, spam [Mail.app has an excellent filter]), much easier to use

sexymuffin said:
Any other information is aprreciated which could be relevant.

Nothing off the top of my head but you can look around here for lots of threads that might help you

sexymuffin said:
Last question do you think I'l ever change back to PC.

I wouldn't

sexymuffin said:
Cheers sorry for all the questions

Not a problem
Enjoy your new iMac

M

Mac Apple

It seems all your questions have been answered bar one.
Its simple to hook up to the internet just plug your broadband into the ethernet slot in the back,
Then go to network in system preferances, system preferances is on the dock, click on network and there should be an option to automatically detect settings.
hope that helps.

enjoy your mac. :D

D

Dexter1912

I know in england BT do do broadband for macs my dad runs a 333Mhz Imac with a usd alctael modem runs no probs

J

jonnyturner

i work for BT broadband *yuck*

yes you can use your voyager USB modem on the mac, although there are sometimes issues with panther, if you get stuck just email me [email protected] and ill get you all sorted out :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.