iCal and Syncing with phones

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just recently got a macbook and I'm really new to iCal. I've started using it and playing around with it a bit and so far I find that its very useful.

I've heard that its possible to make iCal work with a bluetooth enabled phone. The apple site has images of the Motorola Slvr and the Sony Ericsson W600 as compatible phones.

1. Is there actually a list of phones available that are compatible with iCal? Do they have to come with iSync? How can I tell if a phone can be synced with iCal?

2. Assuming I have an iCal fully-compatible phone, what can I actually do? send SMS's through my macbook? Have alerts/appointments i set on iCal shown on my phone?

Thanks very much for your help. I've looked around the web, and I couldn't really find anything that really answered my questions. Thanks very much in advance for all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Supported devices are here.

To make it work, you need to use the bluetooth device configuration wizard to pair your phone with your macbook. During that process, you can set it to be the phone to be the 'default', and to be synchronised by iSync.

Once you've done that, iSync will be responsible for synchronising iCal and Address Book data between your macbook and your phone. Just pop open iSync and click the synch button, and it'll do the magic.

In Address Book, you should see a new button on the main window that enables you do connect it to your bluetooth phone. Click that, and then clicking (or right clicking, I forget which) on a telephone number in address book's detail pane will allow you to send SMS straight from your macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.