LaCie Brick and file name length

Reaction score
Have just bought, plugged in, and turned on my new LaCie brick external hard drive.

Copied some data to it as a test, and it's telling me that the file name is too long.

I have done a search, but can only find information on file name length for OS9. I am using 10.3.3.

Anyone able to shed some light on how long is too long, or other things that will upset this temperamental creature?

cheers
smasher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What format is the drive? If it is FAT32, I think there are still limitations, but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would suggest opening Disk Utility and reformatting your new LaCie as HPFS+. After that, I doubt you will have any issues. Like baggs, I suspect that it comes with FAT32, sort of a lowest common denominator.

OP
S
Reaction score
mac57 said:
I would suggest opening Disk Utility and reformatting your new LaCie as HPFS+. After that, I doubt you will have any issues. Like baggs, I suspect that it comes with FAT32, sort of a lowest common denominator.

Thanks mac57, have done exactly as you suggested and all perfectly smooth now, cheers! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.