Powerbook can see my burned disks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook with Superdirve
Powerbook can't see my burned disks

I just switched to a 17" powerbook. I have been trying to follow the Switching guide but when I put my "switch" disk into my superdirive it never appears on my desktop. Other cds such as music cds and program cds do appear. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
what is the switch disc. is it a disc that you burned with things you would need for when you switched or is it a program sort of thing

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Switch disk

trpnmonkey41 said:
what is the switch disc. is it a disc that you burned with things you would need for when you switched or is it a program sort of thing

On the Apple website there is a "Guide to switching" where they guide you through the process of moving data from your PC to your mac via burning a disk you can title switch. I have gone through the process of buring the disk but when I put it into my cd drive on the mac it never shows up on my desk top. This is turning an, up to now, good experience into a frustrating one.

S

StarManta

Can you see the CD if you put it in a PC besides the one you burned it with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.
First try rebooting with the CD out and putting it back int once you have booted. If you don't see it on the desktop go into Macintosh HD and see if it comes up in the side bar.

If it doesn't show up when you do any of those try this
Go into Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility
Click on your powerbooks main Hard Drive and click repair permissions.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Hmm.
First try rebooting with the CD out and putting it back int once you have booted. If you don't see it on the desktop go into Macintosh HD and see if it comes up in the side bar.

If it doesn't show up when you do any of those try this
Go into Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility
Click on your powerbooks main Hard Drive and click repair permissions.
I'll give it a try and let you know.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pablophish said:
I'll give it a try and let you know.
I tired it to no avail. The frustrating thing is that in the disk utility I can see the disk but thats it. Another valid question might be to seek other ways to move my files from my pc to mac, any suggestions in lieu of disk fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm you see the disk in disk utility but it isn't mounting on the Desktop thats pretty strange. Did you check when you open up macintosh HD if it showed up in the side bar there?

What type of disc did you burn it onto

Were you sure to close the CD when you burned it on your PC?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Hmm you see the disk in disk utility but it isn't mounting on the Desktop thats pretty strange. Did you check when you open up macintosh HD if it showed up in the side bar there?

What type of disc did you burn it onto

Were you sure to close the CD when you burned it on your PC?
No, it does not show up in the slide bar either.

I'm using TDK CD-R, I have been able to use the same exact type of cd to load audio files which works fine.

I have gone back to make sure I have closed the cd and it looks like I have.

When creating the CD I've used the data format, do you think that makes a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm sounds like you have done everything fine......

Last thing that comes to mind is try burning another disc with those files at 1x speed to get the best burn onto the disc

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
hmm sounds like you have done everything fine......

Last thing that comes to mind is try burning another disc with those files at 1x speed to get the best burn onto the disc
Thanks for your help. I'll keep trying. I suspect the PC side of this equation is messing things up.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those playing along....I figured out the problem. I wasn't chosing the correct format when buring the disk. Once I chose the right one I was on my way. Thanks again for the help trpnmonkey41.

R

rcsskier

Pablophish said:
For those playing along....I figured out the problem. I wasn't chosing the correct format when buring the disk. Once I chose the right one I was on my way. Thanks again for the help trpnmonkey41.

I was gonna say you should use Nero or something like that that can burn a hybrid disc. But it looks like you got it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.