Parallels Gaming Performance

T

TMelcher

How well would games run under Parallels on a MBP with the specs in my signature. I still have a few PC games left over from my days on a Windows computer *shudder* including Black and White II, Sims 2 (I'll wind up getting a Mac version soon, most likely), and Guild Wars that I would like to play still if at all possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Parallels doesn't support 3D rendering so it would be pretty poor performance. BootCamp would run them very well though

Reaction score
*whips out the shovel*

Been searching for information on this topic but not seeing anything specific that says it's ready or out. Has this been processed and is it working in the current releases? Looking at getting a MBP this summer before I go to Germany (will be there for 6 months) and beings it's the only computer I'm taking I'd like it to be able to run some games I enjoy without needing to install bootcamp (which I will if I have to :p)

Pretty much the games i'm looking at running is Eve Online, UO, and a couple other misc games that came out a year or two ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Anything that uses D3D rendering is going to either not work or work very slowly, because essentially any DirectDraw rendering is emulated. Some OPenGL games work well though, Unreal Tournament (the original version) works just fine for example, as does Half Life and a few others.

BTW, the link provided is way out of date and the new version of Parallels offers many funky things, but fast 3D graphics under DX9 is not one of them, AFAIK, unless someone wants to correct me.

Reaction score
Well as far as UO goes, it was released way ago under DX7 maybe, or even earlier?

Eve I think is 8, if that makes any difference, that and I found a 'guide' that gets eve working but not sure how well that works. I just wanted to see the possibility of running games under Parallels but guess that's not really an option :p

**** boot camp, hopefully the mac version of eve actually gets released ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well as far as UO goes, it was released way ago under DX7 maybe, or even earlier?

It runs under OpenGL in Parallels, remember that the original UT was a Glide based game, and always ran best on 3dfx hardware.

But you're right, Bootcamp is the way to go for gaming.

Reaction score
I've also found a couple other options, one seems to be a professional resource (cider) and the other seems promising but I'd have to try it when I got the mbp, crossover.

Alot of the games I play have Mac counterparts, it's just for instance that my wife has all the Sims 2 expansions, about 100$+ of games, but I'd have to buy the same amount to get them on the mac. Supposedly crossover works fairly well for Eve so that makes me happy :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.