Random Shut Downs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, PowerMac G4
so i have had my MacBook for a month now and just recently (last 3-4 days) my laptop has turned off. it wasn't overheating or anything. has this happened to anyone, or does anyone know anything about it? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Do a search on the forums and google for 'macbook random shutdown'. It has happened to quite a lot of people and the problem is a faulty logic board. You need to take it in for replacement.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, PowerMac G4
ya i have heard several possible reasons for the problem, including heat and HD problems. but it is in fact the Logic Board?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far the heat has been an irritation, rather than a cause of shutdown. I think the MacBook Pros were more susceptible due to the thermal paste issues, but not the MacBooks. Not heard of the HD causing it either.

However, I HAVE heard (and have first hand experience) of logic board related issues. If yours isn't a logic board problem, then it is a rare one, certainly.

C

CWMac

cazabam said:
So far the heat has been an irritation, rather than a cause of shutdown. I think the MacBook Pros were more susceptible due to the thermal paste issues, but not the MacBooks. Not heard of the HD causing it either.

However, I HAVE heard (and have first hand experience) of logic board related issues. If yours isn't a logic board problem, then it is a rare one, certainly.
After reading the apple forums it would seem the rds /shutdown is still happening after logic board replacment :(

This is why i shouldnt read forums before i have my MB delivered lol.Now im going to be worried it will shutdown all the time lol. Its going to be like playing on my old amiga years ago.Id sit cross fingered hoping it wouldnt crash during loading :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This issue has been narrowed down to the heatsink. Replacement units are now available and you can get faulty ones swapped out. I'm getting mine done today.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, PowerMac G4
ya turns out i brought it in, they kept it for two weeks and replaced the heat sync and logic board. so far, so good. thanks for all the suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.