Re formatting external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi. I just purchased a Western Digital My book external drive, and it comes preformatted for Windows (boo).
I know I need to use Disk utility to reformat, but am a bit unsure as to which format to use and wether this will also erase the software for the drive in the process.
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If you'd like to share information between Windows and Mac, choose Erase in DiskUtility and format it to MS-DOS (Fat32).

If you'd prefer the drive to be Mac exclusive, format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

All info will be erased from the drive.

This topic has been covered numerous times, there is a search menu on the top right of the page. Check it out.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
surfwax95 said:
If you'd like to share information between Windows and Mac, choose Erase in DiskUtility and format it to MS-DOS (Fat32).

If you'd prefer the drive to be Mac exclusive, format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

All info will be erased from the drive.

This topic has been covered numerous times, there is a search menu on the top right of the page. Check it out.

Thanks for the reply. Always forget about search!! Cheers .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.