• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ikea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
So I went to the new Ikea and boy I tell you, as fun as it was to walk around and look at all the setups and stuff, it is annoying as all heck. We spent over 4 hours in the store looking for a desk and a bookshelf. My dad kept stopping to look at everything, probably leading to us being there for the time we were. When we got home I had these little cube things that go in the bookshelf and I broke 3 of them trying to put them together. The bookshelf assembly took me about 3 tries and it doesn't look to hot. The desk is nice but the stuff I got was in white so it is going to show dirt and stuff and I didn't realize it at the time so that is lame. Needless to say, my first time at Ikea was interesting at best. It is amazing in there though. They have a resturant, day care, and the weirdest carts. They had these cool displays where they made a whole house in 532 Square Feet then later on they had one where it was like 206 sq. ft. It would suck to live in a house that small. Anyway I don't plan on going back. <_<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Thanks for telling us?

I got my desk on the side of the road :) It's worked so far.

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Hehe. Nice. Yeah they have some nice looking stuff it is just a hassle to put together and doesn't look that great at home. I mean it looks nice but there is tons of gaps and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Thank you for sharing your ikea experience! We have one here but I never go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Ive got an ikea around 40miles south only hear good things.

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Hmm. Maybe I am just bad at putting things together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Pierre said:
Thanks for telling us?

I got my desk on the side of the road :) It's worked so far.

Haha that's the best ever.. My desk was given to me by mom from a local school.. It's ugly, but it works.. I want a more modern-looking desk though.. I like Ikea's stuff, it's simple and minimalistic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ikea has cool stores, but cheap products. I've only purchased a few things from them and have not been greatly impressed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
My Wife LOVES Ikea. Spent well over 5K there last year... It really is a all day trip though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I got some nice dishes from ikea... and Im thinking of buying a new computer desk from them. The store looks really nice and the prices are very reasonable!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
Ikea is pretty hit or miss. I like that they use a lot of sustainable resourses in producing their items. And many of their items are recyclable which is good, because they break fairly often.

I bought a desk at an estate sale. Cleaned it up and it works great.

Reaction score
Used to live near Ikea but moved interstate and nearest store is way out of reach. We have some Ikea shelving units which have lasted 15yrs ( that's how long since we last had a store close by ) so far and still going strong.

Only a matter of time before they open a store here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Ikea is nice for a college apartment or something. I don't think I'd get it in a nicer home, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've picked up some great stuff from Ikea, and my place doesn't look like a dorm room.

It all depends on the stuff you buy and how adept you are at assembling it.

Thumbs-up for Ikea over here... :)

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I didn't seem to good at putting it together. I guess that is why it looks lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
DCraver said:
Hehe. Nice. Yeah they have some nice looking stuff it is just a hassle to put together and doesn't look that great at home. I mean it looks nice but there is tons of gaps and stuff.

i dont think you put it together correctly, i have a bunch of stuff from ikea and it all looks fabolous. if you can find the right thing that you want it will look really good, but if you put the wrong things together it will look like carp. but that goes with all furniture you can purchse. GO SWEDEN!
-chris

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Oh man the stuff is real nice and looks good in my room but the quality seems bad. I think I failed at furniture assembly. My dad just sat there and played on the computer while I put it together and asked for help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have alot of furniture from Ikea and I love it. You just have to make sure you know what you're getting and understand the quality of it. Some of their stuff is junk, but some is also pretty good quality.

It will never be as good as an actual furniture store, but hey, you're paying 1/3 the price. But Ikea's stuff is certainly no worse than what you'll buy at Target, Staples, etc...

I love Ikea, I just wish there was one closer to me.

Reaction score
I got an ikea like... i dunno 3 minutes of driving from my house... My moms been bying stuff from ikea since i was little (never had much money :p ) and they all look great... at least those things she buys :p

Bought my desk there... but i didn´t really like it, i just needed a workdesk, but i used like 3 hours to try and put it together... never succeded, asked my mom, then she put it together in like 10 minutes, lol.. never was good at rtfm :p

thumbs up for ikea here too... :p

-thondal-

Reaction score
I use to shop at IKEA a lot. They have some good stuff and at very reasonable prices. I usually will reinforce the stuff I put together. I like to make it a little stronger than they plan. I don't really go there anymore, they have nice stuff but it is usually pretty simple looking. I would definately reccomend it for younger people or college students.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.