Macbook Pro Hard Drive.

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my MBP's 80gb HD. Is it recomended to get an internal or external hard drive?

Is there a limit (external) to the size the computer is capable of running?

Reaction score
the easy out would be to get an external (firewaire or usb2.0). Upgrading to a larger internal might be cheaper, but time = money and more time spent used with upgrading & reinstalling your OS & apps.

OP
iPolly
Reaction score
Is there any speed difference between internal and external, especially through USB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
yes...you will lose speed with a usb 2.0 external hard drive, vs. internal. I have an external drive for my MBP, and I have found it very inconvenient for me personally. I will probably swap out the internal at some point.......i do not recommend an external hard drive with a laptop, but that's just me.

OP
iPolly
Reaction score
Is there any way to swap the internal had drive wthout voiding your warranty or applecare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
no, i don't think so. Plus installing a new HD is supposed to be kinda a pain in the neck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does void the warranty, but the actual installation isnt too bad of a job, if youve ever taken apart an apple portable. What's frustrating for me is getting by computer back the way I want it after the drive switch!!

OP
iPolly
Reaction score
What's frustrating for me is getting by computer back the way I want it after the drive switch!!

Do you mean files and such or the fittings of the case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I meant files.....I have ripped apart an ibook and a couple of powerbooks, and they always go back together just perfectly, so no qualms there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I upgraded the internal drive in my old powerbook and instead of reinstalling OS X and copying everything back over, I put the old drive in an external enclosure, booted off the setup disk, went to disk utility, restore tab. I selected the new drive as the destination drive, and the old one as the source. It took a little while to copy everything over, but once it was done, I rebooted and it started up as if i hadn't done anything at all. Only difference was 40 more gig's of free space. disk utility didn't even care that the 2 drives were different sizes.

OP
iPolly
Reaction score
So I guess the question is; Is it worth upgrading the hard drive if it means voiding the warrenty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's all a matter of preference, but in my opinion...NO. I love my MBP to death, and have had no problems whatsoever, but they just havent been out long enough to see if any long-term problems might arise.....always nice to know that Apple will fix it if it breaks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
surfwax95 said:
MBPs use SATA internal drives. SATA is much, much faster than USB 2.0.

SATA = 1.5Gb/second

USB 2.0 = 480Mb/second maximum

I'd prefer a FW400 over USB 2.0 anyday - the 480MB/s is rarely achieved and the FW has much more consistent I/O IMHO. Although SATA of course beats it hands down ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.