big problem.. need help quick..

D

dwig

i use my powerbook g4 for music.. recently its been acting really wierd.. so i reformatted the hard drive... worked find for about a week... then crashed and now it wont even turn back on..all i get is the appple in the start up screen and nothng happens..then eventually some screen comes up asking me if i want to boot the machine or shut down.. when i press boot nothing happens... anybody have any clue whats wrong and how i ccan fix this.. is there any way to reformat the machine without actually having it turned on?? im hoping that someone can help me heere because there are some tracks i made that i will not be able to recover if i can't figure this out... does anybody know what is going on... all help is appreciated ... thank you

OP
S

satzzz

Go to an apple store and let it repaird.
Ask, if they got an new harddrive to put in to your mac, so that your files on the other harddisk can be restored..

OP
D

dwig

any clue how much money this would cost me?? im pretty tight on cahs right now.. are you saying the hard drive is done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
Can you boot from the CDs?

OP
D

dwig

i have the 2 cds the computer came with... but when i put them in nothing happens.. and now i cant get the cd out.. is there something ican press to make it boot straight from cd without having to have the computer actually on..??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
hold the mouse button down while it starts to get the cd out. And to boot from a cd, hold the c key while it starts.

OP
D

dwig

****... looks like the thing is shot... the mouse works to get the cd out but the c button does not work to boot up the cd.. anybody know the cost of bringing this to get fixed..??

Reaction score
dwig said:
****... looks like the thing is shot... the mouse works to get the cd out but the c button does not work to boot up the cd.. anybody know the cost of bringing this to get fixed..??

It definately looks like a job for the nearest Apple Store.

If you can't get your PowerBook to boot, and you have valuable audio files you're desperate to save, then it's possible you come to an arrangement with the Store about paying the bill off over a period of time.

There usually is a separate fee for Repair and Data Recovery so if you only can afford one or the other then you'll have to make that call.

I also use my computer for music makin' and suggest in future you back-up your data. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
If you have access to another Mac, you might be able to save you data using target disk mode. Hold down T as the computer starts and you could see a firewire logo bouncing around the screen. The computer is now essentially an external firewire hard drive. Plug it into another Mac through firewire and it should mount to the desktop just like any other external drive.

OP
D

dwig

nice.. thanks for all the help... ayone have any idea how much it is to get this fixed at the apple store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
My powerbook G4 had a hard drive failure in June. The total cost of it for parts & labor for a new drive install was close to $300 (I had it done at an authorized center, not an apple store). Luckily I have applecare so it was all paid for by Apple. I kind of lucked out since my only warranty claim so far on my applecare cost the whole price of the applecare plan. Here's to another thing failing under warranty so I get my money's worth. Haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.