2nd hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
Hi

would like some advice on a 2nd hard drive for a powermac g5 2.3

i use logic pro so this drive will be used for audio only i'm also going to buy an audio interface which will be fireware connection, so what i want to know is a fireware hard drive be better than a internal hard drive?

I have been looking at this hard drive Maxtor. The Maxline 300GB 7V300F0
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=330907

now which should i go for the above or a Lacie extreme 300gb hard drive

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can install a 2nd SATA Hdd in that Powermac. Only reason I would say it's better is that it's internal and not in the way outside the Mac. I use Firewire drives on some of my Macs. They work great. The LaCie D2 Triple externals are nice, or you can get your own Firewire case and put in your own HDD.

The Internal drive might be a bit faster as it's directly connected to the Internal SATA controler in the Mac.

Reaction score
Internal hdd is fast. Do some searching in barefeats.com, and i am sure you can find some benchmarks that compare an internal to a firstwire.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never once said the Internal was not fast or even faster. The OP asked about external drives. I tried to answer his question. I would take internal any day of the week, but when you run out of room internally, there is only one way to expand farther and even FW400 leave alone FW800 is a far better way to go than USB2.

Edit: tainice, It first looked like you were talking to me since I was not very clear about how much faster an Internal SATA drive is compaired to any External. Sorry if I took you wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey dTravis7, I think tainice was just replying to the original question as well:

so what i want to know is a fireware hard drive be better than a internal hard drive?

So it's all cool, eh?

To recap: The internal drive will be faster (which is good when recording lots of audio tracks simultaneously), but the external is obviously more practical in other ways (portable, swappable etc. etc.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Hey dTravis7, I think tainice was just replying to the original question as well:

So it's all cool, eh?

To recap: The internal drive will be faster (which is good when recording lots of audio tracks simultaneously), but the external is obviously more practical in other ways (portable, swappable etc. etc.)

I was not ver clear on the speed advantage of an internal over external so thought maybe he took me the wrong way.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
ok thanks for the comments

so for the powermac is this the best drive to buy Maxtor. The Maxline 300GB 7V300F0

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tiger2 said:
ok thanks for the comments

so for the powermac is this the best drive to buy Maxtor. The Maxline 300GB 7V300F0

I am sure that Maxtor is a good drive, also check out Seagate or WD. All are good drives. Maxtor not too long ago got bought by Seagate. Seagates are excellent drives. I do myself have a preference for Seagate and WD in that order. If you can get a good deal on the Maxtor, it should be fine. All the large SATA drives like that Maxtor are 7200 RPM anyway so there will not be all that much speed difference. I can't wait till they make larger 10K SATA drives down the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
In my own personal experience, Seagate drives by far outlive Maxtor and Western Digital drives combined. Any computer I ever purchase; the first thing I do is tear out the hard drive and see what brand it is. If it's not Seagate it gets swapped. Your data is your most important component of your computer, so you should put it on a drive that is renowned for its reliability. In servers, laptops, desktops, workstations, etc, I swear by Seagate drives.

I like Maxtor but I haven't had the best experiences with them. Western Digital's reliability is sorry if you ask me. I'm an IT manager and we order all Dell and I can't even count how many WD drives I've replaced in my time. And BTW, it was Seagate that bought out Maxtor.

I run a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB 16MB SATA2 in my PC rig and it's an awesome drive. Seagate also has their latest Barracuda 7200.10 with perpendicular recording technology. The prices on both are very competitive, but I always take reliability first, then price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.