Two Questions - Trash and Automator

Reaction score
1.) Is it possible to delete individual items from the trash? How?

2.) Automator... Grr. Can you just rename files with it? The only way I can get it to rename stuff is if it copies it and then renames it. I can't get it to rename the originals. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I even click Replace Originals. . . nada.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Act0r721 said:
1.) Is it possible to delete individual items from the trash? How?
No. If you don't want to delete it, don't put it in the Trash. Trash is not a storage folder and shouldn't be treated as such. I would suggest looking through the Trash folder BEFORE you empty it if you are unsure about something.
Act0r721 said:
2.) Automator... Grr. Can you just rename files with it? The only way I can get it to rename stuff is if it copies it and then renames it. I can't get it to rename the originals. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I even click Replace Originals. . . nada.
What are you trying to rename?

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow, strong feelings about the trash can. . .

I am trying to rename pictures.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
DB is not trying to be mean, but trying to help. Never use the Trashcan for files you intend to keep. You can't work with files in the trash. Move them back to a folder or the desktop then do your renaming.

As far as renaming, there are two ways I do it depending on the mode! Click the Filename highlighting it, then hit the Enter Key, then type in the new name, of right/Control Click and click Get Info. You can change the filename there also. The Highlight the filename and click Enter works the fastest for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I think the strong feelings about the trash can come from explaining to so many people that if you put it in the trash, it's essentially been deleted! It's not a temporary place for things you *think* you might not want, it's a courtesy to give you 'one last chance' if you delete the wrong thing accidentally.

I think the OS X name (Trash) is better than the Windows one (Recycle Bin). I knew a secretary who filed everything (and I mean everything) that she thought she might want to use again in the Recycle Bin. I mean, recycle means use again, right? Only then the disk cleanup wizard decided to empty the trash on her behalf, and we don't back up the recycle bin ...

OP
A
Reaction score
Ah well, sorry then. The switch from PC to Mac has been a little rocky. HeH.

As for the renaming, I am trying to rename bulk amounts of files, so I need to know how to do it in Automator without just creating new files.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will check into that and get back to you if I can figure it out. What are you trying to change in the name? The Extension?

OP
A
Reaction score
No, the name. All of the files come out named IMG_574 or what not and I what them to be more like Bob's Party 001, etc.

There's a feature for it and I can get it to copy the files and then rename them, but I can't get them to just rename the originals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
No, the name. All of the files come out named IMG_574 or what not and I what them to be more like Bob's Party 001, etc.

There's a feature for it and I can get it to copy the files and then rename them, but I can't get them to just rename the originals.
This is very easily done. In fact, your exact situation is the example used in the OS X introduction video. Go to this video here and fast forward to the section on automator. Your answer is there :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L

Logan

here's mine
picture2yn2.png

I never saw that movie, though.. (I just played around with automator) guess i should watch it

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does yours look like the one in the message above? Do you have all your pics in the first box above the rename one? Did you select all of the files? Highlight them? It's working here just like the video.

It will not run unless you select all the filenames in the Queue in Automator. Here is a pic of mine.

automator.jpg

Reaction score
Just adding help from a different angle:

To change the name of pics in iPhoto library, select the pic/pics and go to the menu bar and select Photos>Batch Change then from the window that appears, choose the drop-down menu on your right and select Text and you can then add a new catagory name for the pics (correct me if I'm wrong-my iMac's at the repair shop). There is also the option to have them numbered if the name covers several pics. For individual pics just follow the same path.

I bookmarked the Automator Tutorial Video links as they will help me understand Automator more as I've been reluctant to dabble just on the text help file instructions alone.

L

Logan

yeah with my screenshot copy (above) I can select files (any files) in Finder and right click then go to Automator - "Rename Sequential Files to..." , and it pops up the "Show Action when run" window. I then proceed to tweak settings until it's to my happiness.

I'm not sure how dtravis' copy would run (I'm not an expert with automator), but my copy works like a champ.. I can go to any directory select any number of files and run my automator and it grabs my selection and renames it with my above code. *shrugs*

Here is a step-by-step I did, I even screwed up on it to show it continues the rename sequence (and fill the gaps of previous renames)

1vw3.png

2za3.png

3lj0.png

8edit* last "after effect" screenshot screwed up and i'm late for work

OP
A
Reaction score
My problem was that somehow, a copy feature showed up. I don't know how, but I just x'ed that and then it worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Logan said:
*edit* last "after effect" screenshot screwed up and i'm late for work
On a completely unrelated note, and I apologize for the hijack, but how and where did you set that really neat icon theme for the Finder sidebar? Are the rest of your icons in that style? I'm very much intrigued :)

L

Logan

i mucked around and found out the finder (and nearly all icons) are just contained inside *.app packages as *.png files (normally 128x128) and you could replace them in the .app packages, delete an entry in your cache and relog in to change it to whatever you want.

The link to where I found these steps? I forget. It was honestly a lot easier than I thought it'd be, now my next hack is the apple button on the top left to another icon... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, okay. I thought there was a supported way to change icon sets like in KDE. Just checking :) Thanks.

Out of curiosity, where did you download the icons that you used? kde-look.org? (Your avatar just makes me think you're a KDE kind of guy ;))

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, sorry. Another problem. . . I got it to just rename and I made it a plug-in. The problem is that it seems to rename them in the most random order. Is there a way to get it to sort all the files in alphabetical order and THEN rename them in that order?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.