Screen Problems

S

satzzz

I've got an problem with my Macbook Pro Screen. If my Mac is turned on, for more than 10 minuts, all white is getting green/blue.. Also some parts of de Desktop are getting pink..

Does anybody have the same problem, so yeah, pleas tell me what I can do about it? :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
Do you have magnets near your computer?

OP
S

satzzz

No there's no magnaticalfield nearby my macbook pro..
My mac is also been repaird for 3 times (They put in an new logicboard) but the problems stays.. :eek:neye:

OP
F

Francesca Rose

I have the same problem. Seems many of us do. I was told it is the logicboard too and was told not to bother having it replaced due to high expense. Really mad too just loaded $800. worth of new software. Not sure I want another as the same thing could happen again. What is the logicboard anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
wow wow wow..... hold on.

If you JUST got this Mac.. replacing the logic board is not going to cost you a dime.... its under warranty.

aside from that it coudl be 2 things... the logic board or the ribbon cable connecting the lcd to the logic board. My expirience... id go after the connnection first. those are usually the first to get screwed up.

Now.. for anyone reading this with a Macbook Pro.

If they have to replace the logic board more than once... you should be raising **** at the store to just have them swap out the whole machine. At that point you've got something you spent at least $2000 on, and they want you to put up with repairs?

Nope. Sorry. Not gonna happen with me...

I know that apple fanboys are gonna go ahead and leave me some bad feedback here cause im sayin it.

But Apple is not, in the last year or so, living up to its standards as a company who takes care of its customers. 3 years ago I took a 12" powerbook in for a new superdrive under the applecare. (pro care is SO worth the $100 a year) In the process, they knicked a wire they shouldnt have. They called me, told me the situation, and offered to just replace the powerbook outright because it would take a week to get the parts in. I went from a 1ghz to like 1.2 or something. But it was all done, same day, no hassle. Just bring us the box and we'll swap everything out.

2 hours later I was loaded, email was downloading and everybody was happy. This was at the Washington Square store in Beaverton Oregon.

Fastforward to today and all the problems people are having with the MBP's. I've yet to see anyone say that Apple has offered to replace the whole book. I've seen tons of guys saying that apple has said that they're gonna rpl the logicboard, but that they'll have to wait.

Im sorry but if I spend 2k on a lappy, its GOING to work, and if not, you're going to give me one that does.

You can argue long and hard about how apple's just trying to keep up with demand, or whatever, but their hallmark, up till now, was taking care of their customers. Seems like they're slipping. And too many people are letting them do it. If people would start demanding that when they pay that kind of money that it should :::gasp::: god forbid actually work... Apple would start dealing with the bad manufacturing in Taiwan or the PRC.

But people dont. They say OK... I'll deal with a 2 week wait time. You shouldnt have to be putting up with that.

Anyways, you can tell, customer advocate all the way.

OP
F

Francesca Rose

Replace Connection not board?

Very frustrating! Should I take it somewhere and replace the switch with hopes that it will work? It is no longer under warranty as I bought it from my boss when our company closed. Reallllly love the computer but realllly don't want to sink too much more into it. Any suggestions?

bishopazrael said:
wow wow wow..... hold on.

If you JUST got this Mac.. replacing the logic board is not going to cost you a dime.... its under warranty.

aside from that it coudl be 2 things... the logic board or the ribbon cable connecting the lcd to the logic board. My expirience... id go after the connnection first. those are usually the first to get screwed up.

Now.. for anyone reading this with a Macbook Pro.

If they have to replace the logic board more than once... you should be raising **** at the store to just have them swap out the whole machine. At that point you've got something you spent at least $2000 on, and they want you to put up with repairs?

Nope. Sorry. Not gonna happen with me...

I know that apple fanboys are gonna go ahead and leave me some bad feedback here cause im sayin it.

But Apple is not, in the last year or so, living up to its standards as a company who takes care of its customers. 3 years ago I took a 12" powerbook in for a new superdrive under the applecare. (pro care is SO worth the $100 a year) In the process, they knicked a wire they shouldnt have. They called me, told me the situation, and offered to just replace the powerbook outright because it would take a week to get the parts in. I went from a 1ghz to like 1.2 or something. But it was all done, same day, no hassle. Just bring us the box and we'll swap everything out.

2 hours later I was loaded, email was downloading and everybody was happy. This was at the Washington Square store in Beaverton Oregon.

Fastforward to today and all the problems people are having with the MBP's. I've yet to see anyone say that Apple has offered to replace the whole book. I've seen tons of guys saying that apple has said that they're gonna rpl the logicboard, but that they'll have to wait.

Im sorry but if I spend 2k on a lappy, its GOING to work, and if not, you're going to give me one that does.

You can argue long and hard about how apple's just trying to keep up with demand, or whatever, but their hallmark, up till now, was taking care of their customers. Seems like they're slipping. And too many people are letting them do it. If people would start demanding that when they pay that kind of money that it should :::gasp::: god forbid actually work... Apple would start dealing with the bad manufacturing in Taiwan or the PRC.

But people dont. They say OK... I'll deal with a 2 week wait time. You shouldnt have to be putting up with that.

Anyways, you can tell, customer advocate all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
macdillon said:
Do you have magnets near your computer?

Just so you know, magnets shouldn't have any effect on an LCD screen like they do on CRT's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
bishopazrael said:

But Apple is not, in the last year or so, living up to its standards as a company who takes care of its customers. .....You can argue long and hard about how apple's just trying to keep up with demand, or whatever, but their hallmark, up till now, was taking care of their customers. Seems like they're slipping.
I am probably the furthest thing from being an Apple fanboy, and no I didn't leave you any negative rep for this... but I am going to disagree. I have had nothing but prompt and excellent service from Apple in the 20 years I have been using Macs. In fact, just last month I had to have the SuperDrive in my PowerBook replaced. From the I sent it out for service to the time I got it back spanned less than a week.
Apple has always provided me excellent service.
In the past, I have had iPods replaced no questions asked... I had an iBook's HD replaced... SCSI floppy drive replaced in a Performa twice... and a few more things. Apple has never let me down and never left me with a machine that wouldn't work.

If it comes to the point where a logic board needs to be replaced, then Apple should replace it. I agree that having it replaced twice is a bit uncalled for, and that the system should have just been replaced.
The issue today is that the 'problems' that many are experiencing aren't really problems... at the very least they are not as widespread as some would make it seem or have you believe. As far as the comment about
if I spend 2k on a lappy, its GOING to work, and if not, you're going to give me one that does.
... well the amount you spend is irrelevant. What is relevant is that if it doesn't work it will be repaired and/or replaced. No company can guarantee you that the computer you buy is going to work flawlessly. That is what a warranty is for... which all new Macs come with. And a company that offers to repair and/or replace your computer is doing just that... giving you a computer that does work. So you might have to wait for that to happen, you will get a computer that works.
So, Apple hasn't 'slipped' or 'lost their edge' with respect to customer service and consumer attention.
What has changed is people's perspective on just what "customer service" should be. People are much more demanding now and have much higher expectations as to what they should "get for their money"... so much to the point where some of those expectations are downright ludicrous, outrageous and simply illogical.

As I said before, I agree that if your system has to go in multiple times for repair, the company should simply replace the unit rather than continually repair the same machine... but expecting a replacement right off the bat is a little hasty and certainly not practical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
D3v1L80Y said:
So, Apple hasn't 'slipped' or 'lost their edge' with respect to customer service and consumer attention.
What has changed is people's perspective on just what "customer service" should be. People are much more demanding now and have much higher expectations as to what they should "get for their money"... so much to the point where some of those expectations are downright ludicrous, outrageous and simply illogical.

As I said before, I agree that if your system has to go in multiple times for repair, the company should simply replace the unit rather than continually repair the same machine... but expecting a replacement right off the bat is a little hasty and certainly not practical.

Sorry man but I have to disagree. I know, I know, agree to disagree... but... a few points.

1. I think Apple IS loosing its edge. I think however that its due to is rapid growth of size and market share. More laptops produced means more defects going out. I wont disagree with you that they still have really good customer service...thats a given.

But my main point is that (in the instance of the overheating macbooks) when the customer base's perception of a product, namely the macbooks and MBP's, are of a laptop, and you have to resort to weaseling your way out of it by saying its a NOTEbook... thats just wrong. The customer expectation is one of someone being able to use in.. in their lap. Its form and function, all part and parcel of it.

Telling someone who's CLEARLY educated and done their homework about how to apply thermal paste, telling them that what they think is well and fine, but Apple's way is correct, and **** what intel and amd say...

My point is that they ARE turning a corner, and their excuse is .. We're Apple and we're cool and hip, and yeah, we'll take care of you eventually but you should be grateful to even have something of ours. And its not just me saying this. Come on, we all read more than just this forum and we can all see examples of this starting to crop up.

Fine, so they replace ipods on the spot. Good for them. Honestly I think the ipod was a great idea and concept, but their physical execution, mainly the mateiriels they use, was flawed. It could have been WAY better. Honestly how hard would it have been to put a removable back on and then sell the replacement rechargeable batteries in store? Why replace the whole thing? All it would take is a quick 5 minutes of redesigning the case in auto cad to do that.

Anyways, my point was I still think apple has the best customer service hands down. Honestly...who would say dell was better? No one.

But I think when a company as a whole starts to use symantecs to get out of hot water and NOT take responsibility for their stuff, thats turning a corner and thats what apple's been doing. I just dont like it

I built a guy a computer last year. Gamer. Takes his FIC Icecube with him to gaming conventions and the like. Turns out that a bad batch of cases were made.. and the one I sold him was no exception. Now they're micro atx and have the PS and mobo all installed. When his mobo went belly up 6 months after I sold it to him, even though it wasn't my fault I needed to stand behind that product and I did.

I guess yeah, since I DO hold myself and my shop to higher standards that I expect the same from anyone else I deal with. I just figure if I can do it, and I'm the little guy, they sure can do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and in regards to the amount issue... I think its relevant because with a purchase like that, do you REALLY expect that its going to have issues? For that kind of money, it shouldn't have any kind of problems.

How understanding should one be? In that situation, I've been there... , I've always been cool about it, as I understand things DO happen, sometimes you just get a lemon. Well, fixing it once is cool. But if I just spent 2k and something doesnt work, and I take it back, and they fix it, and then something else doesnt work... I'm sorry but I want a whole new unit or I want a refund. There's no reason that a customer should have to put up with a defective unit and the subsequent repairs.

Some folks are OK with things getting fixed, but IMHO, if you buy it new.. thats just what it should be.. new. You should be putting the mileage on it, not the techs on the bench.

OP
M

Mundaine

Sounds like it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a MBP right now. I think I'm going to wait until all these situations clear up.

OP
S

satzzz

apple said to me 'if you got your laptop repaird 4 times and the problem(s) don't solve, you get an replacement laptop!'.. Thats is wat they told me (here in The Netherlands)..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, that's european law... the retailer has 3 repair chances, if it still isn't fixed, you can either demand a replacement machine or your money back in full.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.