Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
2823gbs caches (or whatever that is)
intel core 2 duo vs opterons
4 hdd bays (wanting more)

**** you rich people.

On a side note this is a very intresting conversations something I would defintly want to learn more on. (why you need 12+ bandwidth on a processor) Can anyone point me to a break down on what all this means? I'am 14 and find this very intriguing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Techno Mutant said:
2823gbs caches (or whatever that is)
intel core 2 duo vs opterons
4 hdd bays (wanting more)

**** you rich people.

On a side note this is a very intresting conversations something I would defintly want to learn more on. (why you need 12+ bandwidth on a processor) Can anyone point me to a break down on what all this means? I'am 14 and find this very intriguing

I am by no stretch of the imagination "rich", but I have a good paying job. I could buy one of these with the above additions and not "kill" myself in the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, london, we got the point:
The Mac Pro does not fit your needs. Period.
So please stop ranting.

Just leave it there. There's no point in saying (and repeating it ad infinitum) the Mac Pro (or any Xeon based PC) is crap just because it doesn't suit your needs.
They are quite powerfull machines, at an interesting price. Just not powerfull enough for you. Well, so be it, go with the system that suits you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I told you last night, go buy your Opteron box. It's what you need.

Can you show me where Anand called the Mac Pro Junk? Read his Benchmarks of the new Core 2 Xenon CPU's. They blow down all the competition. Anand is not one to lie either.

But for YOUR NEEDS, you need more. So get what you need.

OP
L
Reaction score
"The other suggestion we have is to make sure you've got enough memory on hand, especially if you're going to be multitasking heavily or running a lot of non-native applications. The 1GB that these systems come with is absolutely the minimum; we tried running with only 512MB enabled and came away thoroughly disappointed in the system's performance"

"One of our biggest concern about the Mac Pro is that users who don't need 8 memory slots or four cores would be better off if Apple released a single socket Core 2 based Mac tower. The memory performance of FBD on the Intel 5000X chipset is absolutely horrid and there's nothing you can do about it unless you switch entirely to an all serial interface or go back to using regular DDR2 memory.

The memory performance of the Mac Pro is noticeably better than the PowerMac G5 and competitive with other products in the Mac lineup (for now), but it's still significantly lower than where it could be. Intel seems married to its FBD strategy for now, which unfortunately means that as long as Apple wants two sockets for the Mac Pro, you'll need to deal with FBD. Our recommendation to Apple? Give us a Core 2 based tower. Our recommendation to Intel? Give us an alternative to FBD."

If you guys consider memory bandwidth of a so called workstation that are lower then a Pentium 4 good enough.
Then so be it.
my point is I dont thinks its good enough for a workstation.
Thats all I have been saying. I was keen to get a Mac Pro. Untill I found out these limitations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
london said:
"The other suggestion we have is to make sure you've got enough memory on hand, especially if you're going to be multitasking heavily or running a lot of non-native applications. The 1GB that these systems come with is absolutely the minimum; we tried running with only 512MB enabled and came away thoroughly disappointed in the system's performance"

"One of our biggest concern about the Mac Pro is that users who don't need 8 memory slots or four cores would be better off if Apple released a single socket Core 2 based Mac tower. The memory performance of FBD on the Intel 5000X chipset is absolutely horrid and there's nothing you can do about it unless you switch entirely to an all serial interface or go back to using regular DDR2 memory.

The memory performance of the Mac Pro is noticeably better than the PowerMac G5 and competitive with other products in the Mac lineup (for now), but it's still significantly lower than where it could be. Intel seems married to its FBD strategy for now, which unfortunately means that as long as Apple wants two sockets for the Mac Pro, you'll need to deal with FBD. Our recommendation to Apple? Give us a Core 2 based tower. Our recommendation to Intel? Give us an alternative to FBD."

If you guys consider memory bandwidth of a so called workstation that are lower then a Pentium 4 good enough.
Then so be it.
my point is I dont thinks its good enough for a workstation.
Thats all I have been saying. I was keen to get a Mac Pro. Untill I found out these limitations.

Are you done yet?

You've made your comments.

You've had people give examples, that show the Mac Pro out performing its AMD counterparts.

We understand you won't "get it" ..

Go buy your opteron and rejoice.

OP
L
Reaction score
Sobe said:
Are you done yet?

You've made your comments.

You've had people give examples, that show the Mac Pro out performing its AMD counterparts.

We understand you won't "get it" ..

Go buy your opteron and rejoice.

Read the reply comments. its clear alot of people DONT get it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, that banning didn't take long. Not like I didn't warn him though.....

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
It really is a shame apple didn't go with AMD though. Although the Core 2 is one BAMF I don't know how long they can keep that up with a front side bus and fully buffered memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I also would have liked apple to go AMD, but I read somewhere that AMD would not be able to produce the amount of chips apple wanted. I don't really believe that, I think AMD is big enough to produce a few chips for apple, its not like they make that many computers, sure they make alot, but not enough that a company like AMD can't keep up.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
I think it's because of AMD's mobile chips. I don't think AMD has a chipset combination like the centrino. However that may change with the acquisition of ATi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
It would probably also have to be because of the lack of their own integrated graphics as well. Intel just provided the better package overall I feel. Hopefully the Ati buyout well see some AMD love some day, then we will see an even better range of macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this thread isnt locked yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.