installing gvim or doing make install

A

anupam1008

I am a hardcore gvim user and cannot think of switching to another text editor just because I recently bought an iMac.

Are there any gvim users on Mac out there who can help me install and configure this. I spent quite a bit of time downloading the package and trying to install it -- but it still works from a terminal - not a real GUI app, like it would on a typical Linux/unix machine.

Moreover I try to do a 'make install' -- but my prompt errors saying that :

"-bash: make: command not found"

Any help would be really appreciate to get this working.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Sounds like you're taking the hard route :) You can get a precompiled Vim.app from macvim.org that will have pretty much everything built in, handy little droplet so you can start multiple instances if you like, and most important a native interface.

Should you require the development stuff, you need to install the developer tools off you original OS disks. This will give you all the GNU toolchain, as well as the Xcode IDE if you want it. That will give you enough to compile most open source *nix applications with no bother.

OP
A

anupam1008

hmm... thanks, that is the one I already had installed. Somehow the GUI did not look as graphical as it does on Linux or XP. But I gave it another shot and the functionality (and colors) is all there, so I guess I have no reason to complain.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Yes, the toolbar at the top hasn't been ported to cocao yet, but it is on the way. Everything from there is available in the menus, though, and to be honest I generally have it set up as a plain black window and do the rest with keyboard commands :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.