OSX Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram
OSX Update [EDITED]

Lets say you have a Mac with Tiger OSX on it, and then Leopard comes out, would it cost any money to update from Tiger to Leopard?

Im getting a Mac in next Summer, and Leopard comes out in next Spring, when I get my Mac, will Leopard be installed already?

Thanks,
Nate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes, approx $129

OP
Nate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, thats the one downerside about Mac. Well, cheap enough! LOL, and Im getting a Mac in next Summer, and Leopard comes out in next Spring, when I get my Mac, will Leopard be installed already?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
A new mac will come with the latest OS apple has. Also, if you are a student, it's only around $70. And if a new version comes out within a month I think of buying a new mac, apple usually gives a discount to upgrade. I think it was $5 for Tiger if you had just recently bought a new mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes it will be installed already, if it is released.

It is not that bad to have to upgrade your os, its like upgrading form windows ME, to windows XP you had to pay for it, and alot more then 129. When the release a new versoin of osx, it is a new os, and you don't need to get it, but it is new, re-built, new features, etc.

OP
Nate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thanks guys! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Nate said:
So, thats the one downerside about Mac. Well, cheap enough! LOL, and Im getting a Mac in next Summer, and Leopard comes out in next Spring, when I get my Mac, will Leopard be installed already?

It's interesting why many people think it's a downside when to pay for a new OS release when it comes to Apple.
Do you really think Microsoft is giving Vista away for free when it comes out? Certainly not, and definitely not for 129,-
Unlike MS, Apple is improving it's system on a faster pace, which is why new versions are more frequent. Which can be a bit annyoing sometimes, especially for developpers and companies, but it's still better than waiting over 5 years for a new release, which in the end has not even half of all the improvements that were announced.

Reaction score
Actually, this is one of Apple's strong tricks from a business point of view. They release lot's of new OSes and can make money faster that way. If MS releases one $300 OS in 5 years, apple released 5 $129 OSes. So Apple made $650 off someone who kept updating. Of course, the leap from 10.1 to 10.5 is pretty darn humongous, but the change from XP to vista is too. (Leave aside all the copying etc.).
Vistas new feature list is really really long, and I'm talking abot end-user here, not the code change on line 123084 that let's some error button appear 4mm more to the right.

If anything is to be criticized, then the OS pricing. But then again, I personally say it's worth it. And because Apple updates mroe regularly, you can go stay somewhere down the middle, you don't have to get stuck at one extreme (like XP) or the other (like Vista). And underneath, it's still windows. And we'll have to wait and see.

F

fliP

Never had to "upgrade" a Mac OS yet so I'll ask the stupid newbie question: When Leopard comes out and I want it, I pay $129 and is that for a COMPLETE OS, not just an "upgrade" like windows likes to do so often? I would think it would be complete but just wanted to check. Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
fliP said:
Never had to "upgrade" a Mac OS yet so I'll ask the stupid newbie question: When Leopard comes out and I want it, I pay $129 and is that for a COMPLETE OS, not just an "upgrade" like windows likes to do so often? I would think it would be complete but just wanted to check. Thanks

There are no Upgrade versions, No Home, Pro, Better, Best :biohazard versions of OSX. There is OSX whatever, in my case Tiger. I pay $129 and I have the whole package. Complete OS. Does it all. The only other version is Server for their XServes. That is why I feel it's a very good deal. Also for $199 you get a 5 license version that can be installed on 5 Macs in your possession. Another very good deal to me anyway.

Also it will upgrade, Full install, Archive and Install keeping all your settings and files.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Even so, MS upgrades cost 99$ when the entire OS costs around 250 or so. See previous post to see the point.

I do agree though that Apple has kept it simple, and consumer-oriented. Sometimes I feel I should jsut become an Apple Developer because they have a chocolate life compared to people tackling windows day-in day-out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, there is OSX and OSX Server. OSX Server is a bit more expensive than OSX IIRC....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.