Will Apple buy my new Dell laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
I'm starting school next month and part of our tuition pays for a new laptop. Of course they won't give us vouchers, they have a deal with Dell and all the students get lame 40 GB dells that are worth about $1,100-$1,200.

I friend told me I don't open it, I could take it to an Apple Store and I might be able to trade it in for the 999 Macbook. Is this true?

If it's not true, what do you suggest I do? (Other then sell it on craigslist, & go buy a mac, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Chances are that if they provide a Dell, a Dell is going to be what you need. You are pretty much stuck unless you end up selling the Dell. Then you would have to spend your own cash.

Then again, I know nothing about your school or what you actually needs. This doesnt seem like anything we can help you with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
NikBhat said:
Chances are that if they provide a Dell, a Dell is going to be what you need.

Agreed.

You should check to make sure they don't also give you some special software that's required for the classes. If they do, chances are, there isn't a Mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Yeah in my line of education (business/accounting) we use some pretty sophistocated excel add-ins and they are definitly not available on mac. So I use my old Dell for that work. It might be a similar issue for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
JeffreyLloyd said:
I friend told me I don't open it, I could take it to an Apple Store and I might be able to trade it in for the 999 Macbook. Is this true?
Pardon my bluntness, but your friend is a moron. Apple is in the business of selling computers to customers, not buying them from customers. Its a store, not an auction or bartering post. Why on Earth would anyone tell you that you could trade it in for an Apple computer? I mean, what is Apple gonna do with it? Sell it on the floor? I think not. o_O

:black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with DB. If it was a brand new SEALED Mac and you needed another Mac who knows, but with a Dell? Good luck! Not trying to be mean here either. I would almost bet you that they would never take a PC in trade.

As far as needs when in school, if he did get a MacBook or MBP, Windows could be installed with Bootcamp and run anything the school would require, and he could still use OSX for everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
D3v1L80Y said:
Pardon my bluntness, but your friend is a moron. Apple is in the business of selling computers to customers, not buying them from customers. Its a store, not an auction or bartering post. Why on Earth would anyone tell you that you could trade it in for an Apple computer? I mean, what is Apple gonna do with it? Sell it on the floor? I think not. o_O

:black:

Send it back to Dell with a fault and ask for a refund :spook: (j/k)

Anyway no I would doubt Apple would do it sadly, the Dell is probably a good option or less you need a Apple in which case I guess you could sell it :ninja:

Reaction score
avcabob said:
Agreed.

You should check to make sure they don't also give you some special software that's required for the classes. If they do, chances are, there isn't a Mac version.

Chances are, he can use Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Ya, I second that. Bootcamp or Parallels is an option.

In terms of can you take it to apple, man, they're just gonna laugh you right out of the store.

Here's what I think.

1. Sell the laptop via Craigslist or ebay
2. Take said money and buy a Macbook & Parallels & an OEM copy of XP.
3. Enjoy life and laugh at the rest of the school when they start having exploding laptops!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
The only problem I see with using boot camp, is the as since it's still beta, he wouldn't get any tech support if something went wrong. And if it's something necessary for school, it going down for any period of time could be really bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
avcabob said:
The only problem I see with using boot camp, is the as since it's still beta, he wouldn't get any tech support if something went wrong. And if it's something necessary for school, it going down for any period of time could be really bad.
Exactly. BootCamp is nice, but it really wasn't intended to be used to run Windows full time. It, like Paralells, was intended to run the occasional Windows program when needed. Just because you can install and run Windows, doesn't mean that you necessarily should. :black:

Also, as you mentioned it is still beta. I know I wouldn't want to invest my schoolwork in the integrity of a beta software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.