Memory and the Macbook

Reaction score
Hello all!

So far I am loving my new MacBook! I am a new switcher and I just got it on monday. Transition has been SEAMLESS . . . its a terrific machine. Although I am so used to "jumping through hoops" to do things on my windows boxes, I have to say the ease of use freaks me out a little!

I have a quick question when it comes to memory. I bought the MacBook with the 512 of memory with the intent to upgrade to at least 1gb (and maybe 2gb) when I had the funds. This morning I decided to check out prices . . . and then promptly changed my underwear. WOW . . . now I know the debate rages eternal about Apple's prices on computers, and my stance is that configured systems usually end up within the same price range, but WOW. That is some over priced memory, right? Is it like . . . some kind of super premium thing? Thats kinda what I was wondering. When I did a search on the net, there are many many less expensive alternatives. I did a search on NewEgg and found a MacBook compatible 1gb stick for about $100. So what is the deal? Will buying non Apple memory be bad? All of these sites say they are compatible with the MacBook specifically . . . why such a massive price difference?

I really appreciate the help! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
BushyMark said:
Hello all!

So far I am loving my new MacBook! I am a new switcher and I just got it on monday. Transition has been SEAMLESS . . . its a terrific machine. Although I am so used to "jumping through hoops" to do things on my windows boxes, I have to say the ease of use freaks me out a little!

I have a quick question when it comes to memory. I bought the MacBook with the 512 of memory with the intent to upgrade to at least 1gb (and maybe 2gb) when I had the funds. This morning I decided to check out prices . . . and then promptly changed my underwear. WOW . . . now I know the debate rages eternal about Apple's prices on computers, and my stance is that configured systems usually end up within the same price range, but WOW. That is some over priced memory, right? Is it like . . . some kind of super premium thing? Thats kinda what I was wondering. When I did a search on the net, there are many many less expensive alternatives. I did a search on NewEgg and found a MacBook compatible 1gb stick for about $100. So what is the deal? Will buying non Apple memory be bad? All of these sites say they are compatible with the MacBook specifically . . . why such a massive price difference?

I really appreciate the help! :p

Apple prides itsself on the usability and ease for non-expert users, right? and to teens who want to record music, make home videos, use their digital cameras, etc. What better way to get money than to have people buy a "top of the line" computer and overprice the hardware under the cover of an uber-trendy Apple logo?

Its a brilliant marketing strategy.

Reaction score
I ordered 2GB for my macbook for 175 shipped off of e-bay... the specs all matched and the company had 5000 positive feedbacks, I'll update if i have any problems with it when the new sticks arrive.

Now can anyone tell me what to do with my old 256 sticks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
ebay, or just keep it. you never know when something happens and you need memory.

Reaction score
gigaram or transcend on newegg is cheap and good. i swapped out one of the two 256mb sticks for a 1gb transcend for my macbook making it 1.25gb (and had a 1gb gigaram in my intel imac before i sold it for the macbook). both worked well, go with whatever is cheaper and/or has better reviews.

Reaction score
I would keep the ram. Lots of people allreade trying to sell their meager standard sticks. Same thing on 'normal' pc laptops. The price you can get is hardly worth the trouble. Besides - if you have to return your mac for repair or the likes, its much better when doing it with the std ram. You dont risk that your changing of ram will be an excuse for apple to put you down, and IF you get some hardware problems its nice to have a spare set of ram to check whether its bad ram causing your problem.

I get my two 1-gig sticks in the mail tomorrow :miner:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.