Help want to start fresh (format) but....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 10.5.6, 4 gig several ImacsG4's 640kb/10.3.9 and an Ibook G4/Tiger
I have been testing many different apps (iview, Portfolio, Nikon Capture NX, ..........) a bunch I decided to buy the ones I needed. so far so good

At some point I want to clean this thing up and start over with just the apps I own, and somehow I have messed things up installing all this garbage so Id like to format my OS drive and start over. I dont know what I did but I cant even burn a CD,

I have over 20 gig on my main drive and over 60 on each of the other 2 but I get this message when I try and burn a disk

anyone know how to fix this?

If not how do I start over?

How do I do it? I have all my data (images) on external drives and am ready to go but I would like to save all my login info to sites like this (I dont even remember most of them, they log in automaticly)

any help here would be great

regards
Ray

Attachments

• Picture 21.jpg
    Picture 21.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 26
S

Sydrocentric

Archive and Install. I believe osX will save everything and put it on your new desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Correct... OS X will keep all your data, apps & settings, but will replace the underlying system entirely with a fresh copy.

Alternatively if you have a full backup of your current system on an enternal firewire harddrive you could erase and install your internal drive and then selectively restore things such as your apps & keychains from the firewire drive using the built-in migration assistant.

OP
RayLee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 10.5.6, 4 gig several ImacsG4's 640kb/10.3.9 and an Ibook G4/Tiger
Than you both, but If afraid because OSX keeps all the apps and setting I might end up in the same spot I started from, my messed up setting and a bunch of trial apps I did not want.

Anyone have an idea about the error code Im getting? like I said I have over 20 gig on the OS drive so Im not sure why I am seeing this. (see attachment)

regards
Ray

Aptmunich said:
Correct... OS X will keep all your data, apps & settings, but will replace the underlying system entirely with a fresh copy.

Alternatively if you have a full backup of your current system on an enternal firewire hard-drive you could erase and install your internal drive and then selectively restore things such as your apps & keychain from the firewire drive using the built-in migration assistant.

S

Sydrocentric

I'm not sure about the error.if you do an Archive & Install it will install a fresh copy. Factory settings and such. All you apps and files will be saved in a folder on your desktop and will not interfear with your new system. Keep what you want out of that folder and delete the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.