Macbook Pro 1.83GHz?

M

Mundaine

Hello,

I am looking at getting a Macbook Pro off of eBay and the one I am looking at has a 1.83GHz processor. After looking on the Apple website, I see that you can not actually purchase a Macbook Pro with a 1.83GHz processor. Does this mean that the item I am looking at on eBay is Refurbished? If so, what are the drawbacks of a refurbished Mac? If not, how did the seller aquire this Macbook Pro?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
NEVER, never buy new products off ebay.
Yes this is not a new product, this is not a referbished product (unllikely), It is just simply used.
Drawbacks: The drawbacks are the same as buying anything used, buying a used computer, buying a used car, buying a used boat. You don't know where it has been, or what it has done, or how the owner treated it, this is not saying that it is not a good product, this is not saying that it is a bad product, but it can go either way. Make sure you check the feedback.

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
NEVER, never buy new products off ebay.

Why not?

I see nothing wrong with buying a laptop on eBay, I have sold plenty on there and they have all been in great condition. The buyer was always satisfied. I wouldn't expect to get a killer deal on it through eBay though, enough people are watching the auction that they usually go for fair market value.

In regard to your questions about a 1.83Ghz MacBook Pros, they were the low-end model when the MacBook Pros were first released. Amazon has some pretty good deals on brand new ones that you might want to check out.

Reaction score
Not true, you can buy a refurbished 1.83 GHZ macbook pro off the apple website. They are $1549, and mine is in the mail. My theory is that, if I can get the same warranty on a refurbished copmuter as I can on a new computer, what's there to lose?

OP
M

Mundaine

So would it be okay to buy a refurbished mac of the apple website? There are some good deals on there, I'm just wondering if the macs have visible wear on them.

Reaction score
Mundaine said:
I'm just wondering if the macs have visible wear on them.

Of the ones I have seen in person, none have had any visible wear. I haven't heard of anybody on this forum having issues with them either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
I have gotten some great deals on eBay, so I wouldnt warn you off there. As for Apple Refurbs.....they have brand new cases. only the guts are refurbed. You can buy applecare with them as well, to cover your butt if you want to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
get the refurb. or a new macbook. But on something as pricey and..i dunno....serious...as a laptop, I would generally avoid ebay.

OP
M

Mundaine

Thanks alot guys! Just what I wanted to hear! One more question before I order this thing.

Do you have to purchase Applecare with your MBP in the same shipment? Or could I buy it in a month or so when I have more cash?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yes, you can purchase AppleCare at a later date. Any time with the first year of purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
ShillAT said:
get the refurb. or a new macbook. But on something as pricey and..i dunno....serious...as a laptop, I would generally avoid ebay.

Yeah, there's just WAYYYYYYYYYY too much that can go wrong for you on ebay for something of this price range.

There was an article on Digg.com about a guy who got ripped off for his MBP ... and ebay wont do a thing to help him.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.