why does this happen?

S

sevenkay

ok. im trying to make ringers for my phone. i've done it before, albeit with a pc. i downloaded bitpim, audactiy and then lame mp3 encoder. but after lame downloads and i try to open it, it just opens up my word trial. how can i get this to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
sevenkay said:
ok. im trying to make ringers for my phone. i've done it before, albeit with a pc. i downloaded bitpim, audactiy and then lame mp3 encoder. but after lame downloads and i try to open it, it just opens up my word trial. how can i get this to work?

With audacity you don't open Lame. when you download lame, put in the same place as audacity. Once you have created your file in audacity, click "export as mp3" the first time you do this it will ask for the location of lame, show it. then it will export a mp3 to what ever location you told it to.

bone

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the extension on the Lame file you downloaded? I think what you mean is you can't open the archive containing Lame. If it's .SIT or .BIN you need to go to Version Tracker and download the Free Stuffit Expander. Install that then click on the Lame archive.

Hope that is what you are after. After you extract Lame, do what Boneheadz said and put the files in the audicity folder.

OP
S

sevenkay

i still can't get it to work. i downloaded stuffit. i then downloaded lame again. i opened stuffit. i dragged lame into stuffit. i cant get it to work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
what is the exact filename of the Lame file you downloaded?

What is the URL where you downloaded Lame?

http://spaghetticode.org/lame/

the osx one is in .sit. That is a Stuffit file. It's the library and you place it in the Audicity folder.

OP
S

sevenkay

it's .sit. i download stuffit. then i download lame. then i try everything and i cannot et it to work. i am dumb. *** am i doing wrong?

Reaction score
Relax....

Lame is a library for Audacity. Means you cannot open Lame, it just sits there. Now after downloading the Sit-File, double-click it and it will unpack automatically. DON'T open Stuffit.

Place the contents unpacked into the correct place in your Audacity folder. Look up some of the support sites for lame to see where exactly to put Lame. Then launch audacity and do whatever you want. Lame is not an Application. It's a library.

OP
S

sevenkay

omgosh i feel like a tard. here is exactly what i am doing.

i download stuffit. i install it. i don't open it.

i download lame.

on the desktop, after lame has been downloaded, two things appear. a box-like icon that says ".sit" on it and a separate blank page icon that just says lamelib

i also have an audacity folder on the desktop that is the hdd looking thing (whatever it really is) and it says "audacity 1.2.5-intelpre1. i've tried to put lame in this folder. i've opened this folder and tried to put lame in the plug-ins folder inside of this. when i do, it gives me an error message saying that it cannot be modified.

i feel so dumb.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That HDD looking thing that says Audacity 1.2.5 is a Disk Image like a Disk Drive. Since there is more there than just the Application, I made a folder in Applications called Audacity and drug all the icons from your Image to that folder. Then you can delete the Image from your desktop. Drop the lamelib into the folder you made in Applications called Audacity.

Worked for me.

OP
S

sevenkay

when i try to export as mp3 while in audacity, the only lame type thing i can choose is in the puzzle piece shape and has a yellow symbol on it. then i choose it and it says it cannot open the mp3 encoding library.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you running Audicity out of the Drive Icon or did you make a folder in Applications and put it there? I did all I told you above and dropped Lame in the folder and I was able to export MP3 and the other two choices also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sevenkay said:
i made a folder in applications then ejected the drive thing. *** is wrong?

Did you drop a copy of that lame library into that directory? I have it right there with the Audacity Application. Not in the PlugIns.

OP
S

sevenkay

yeah, and it's the puzzle piece icon with the yellow symbol on it. but when i try to export it says it cannot open mp3 encoder

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I see your problem. When you try to export MP3 is says there is no Lame Library and give you a yes or a no to find it. Click Yes then when it comes up point it to that lame library in your audacity folder. Then click open. It will then know where it is and continue exporting the MP3. I had to try it on another system since mine was already set up.

That will work.

OP
S

sevenkay

No it gives me something to open. The only thing I can click open on is the puzzle piece looking thing.

I downloaded something else and used stuffit on it. It expanded it onto the desktop and gave it its own folder. It did not do this for lame. Ugh something is up here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sevenkay said:
No it gives me something to open. The only thing I can click open on is the puzzle piece looking thing.

I downloaded something else and used stuffit on it. It expanded it onto the desktop and gave it its own folder. It did not do this for lame. Ugh something is up here.

Yes, the puzzle piece looking thing then I clicked Open. Then the MP3 exported. Going to my Intel Mac to see if maybe that is the issue as all the Macs I have been working with are PPC.

Will get back to you in a few.

Reaction score
Ok I poked about and first saw this:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

Then I went to the lame download page. There were two downloads there. I took the one saying Lamelib-carbon. The one on the right. That sit opened and only hade a LameLib file with a page-like icon in it. This the library. Now you seemed to have some other stuff... shady.

Put that pagelike file anywhere. And then use the export command. like the instructions say.

OP
S

sevenkay

i have the page icon, but i also have the puzzle piece, which is the only thing i can open when i try to export as mp3. it's the only thing i can click on.

which version of stuffit are you guys using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
boy maybe you should just download your ringtone ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.