why does this happen?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It works on my Intel Mac by the way. What I told him to do works here on 6 machines. Works perfectally and exports to MP3 using the Lame Library.

OP
S

sevenkay

i cant understand what is going wrong. i'm doing everything i was told to do. here is exactly what i am doing.

-i downloaded audacity.
-i downloaded stuffit expander. i went to version tracker, typed in stuffit and downloaded the first version that came up. a beta version. stuffit expander 10.1 beta. i tried to download another version that came up on the same search, but it tried to make me enter a registration number and pay for it. whatevs.
-i download lame. the correct version for os x.
-lame appears on the desktop as a brown box icon that says ".sit" on it and it is called lamelib carbon 3.91.sit."
-i click the icon mentioned above. the first time i click it, the puzzle piece with the yellow symbol on it appears on the desktop. every time afterwards, a blank page titled "lamelib" appears.
-i make a folder in the applications folder. i put audacity in it. i then put lame in it. by that i mean i put the puzzle piece and the blank page in the same folder that audacity is in.
-i open audacity. i edit the song to the deisred lenght. i click export as mp3. it tells me to locate lame.
-i locate lame. however, the only thing i can find that it will let me "open" is the puzzle piece. it then tells me that it cannot open the mp3 encoder.

that's what i'm doing. what am i doing wrong?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When it asks you to locate LameLib do you point it to the Puzzle piece? You do not need the other lame file there.

Here is a pic of my work ing audacity. See where I have the lame lib. That is a folder in my applications folder.

then when it asks me to locate LameLib I point it to that audacity folder and click on that lamelib and hit open. I know you have an Intel mac so I tried this on my Intel Mini.

lame.jpg

OP
S

sevenkay

ok. here is a screen cap of my the audacity folder within the applications folder. notice the puzzle piece. that's all i can click on when i try and export.

my screen cap

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I found your problem. Trying things out now and will get back to you. It's to do with Lame and the Intel Macs. Funny it works on mine in Rosseta but not on a lot of other peoples. Hang in there.

Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with his MS Office? That puzzle piece is linked to MS Office.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, that is the LameLibrary for Audacity. Used it for years here. I did some probing around and his problem is they now have a version of Audacity for the Intel Macs but the LamLib that Audacity uses is still not universal. For some reason I can use the older Audacity on my Core Duo Mini with the LameLib he is using but it works, but SLOW as can be under Rosseta. If you install the Universal Audacity, the old LameLib will not work with it and no one has ported it as yet. I am still looking for a LameLib that will work with the Intel CPU, but so far nothing.

I would say for now, use Audacity to do your work and save it as an AAIF or Wave then use iTunes to convert to MP3 till this gets sorted out.

OP
S

sevenkay

ok. that worked. i managed to convert it to an mp3 using itunes.

now i'm trying to add the song to bitpim so i can send it to my phone. but it won't let me. why is this? what should i do?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never worked with bitpim or MP3's on cell phones. Can someone other user that has done this help him???

OP
S

sevenkay

anyone? i've been searching but i can't find anything.

thanks for everyone's help so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.