EyeTV Hybrid HDTV Tuner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok question for all you TV geeks :) I know my computers, but I have no idea how to interpret this TV jargon.. so hopefully you guys can help.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybrid

Can that work with just regular Digital Cable? I have basic cable, so not a lot of channels and Im through Cox... Any thoughts on this thing would be excellent, it was just released yesterday and I thought I would come to you guys before emailing their support :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I'm guessing that buy digital cable you mean you have a cable box. In that case it will work but you will need to use its little break out dongle to connect your cable box via RCA or S-Video. To change the channels you would either need an IR Blaster or just change your channels on your cable box remote.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope all I have is straight from the wall, so no cable box... Im sure that changes the answer a bit? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh that makes things much better. Just plug the cable into the little USB dongle. You will be able to change the channels on your Mac, if you schedule a recording it will automatically change the channels for you

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you serious? that simple? sheesh everything on that page.. I wasnt even sure it could be used here in the states.. it sounded like Europe only or I needed some big fancy High Definition tuner or what not.. definitely not my field if you can't tell :) Thanks monkey, I just might get one of these sometime soon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The software is fantastic. They are incredibly easy to use and with cable straight from the wall its even easier

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent :) It sounds like you currently use it? I take it that you definitely recommend eyetv? I wouldn't be paying any monthly fees right? That's the reason I have not gone for the whole recorders thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I used the EyeTV Wonder 2.0 for a year with the EyeTV software and I just upgraded to a Plextor unit which has the hardware encoding built in and am very pleased. The newest software updates are great. No monthly fees, built in TV guide

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
trpnmonkey41 said:
Yea I used the EyeTV Wonder 2.0 for a year with the EyeTV software and I just upgraded to a Plextor unit which has the hardware encoding built in and am very pleased. The newest software updates are great. No monthly fees, built in TV guide
I have a question for you then. Would this work as a converter for my video camera as well? I have a video camera that only has the RCA/S-Video connections and I'm looking for a converter so I can upload to my iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. I have used it to convert my VHS tapes and Hi8 tapes to digital

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I want to do the conversion of my VHS tapes.. I would hook the coaxial cable to the VHS, then the other side would go into my EyeTV Hybrid? Wait hmm.. no that doesn't sound right.. basically just a coaxial from my VHS to EyeTV right? no reason for the cable from the wall.. since it's just VHS that I want...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea you don't need to worry about the cable from the wall if you are only interested in the conversion. I haven't looked too much at the specs on the Hybrid but if your main thing is conversion I would recommend looking into the hardware based tuners. These require virtually no system resources to do the conversion which will prevent any hiccups in the conversion

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm

I have the plextor. It says 229 on the site but I got it for less at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814144505

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250
Is 50 more than the Hybrid but has hardware based encoding, which can be switched to software if you need low latency

The only true advantage of the hybrid apart from the price is that it can pick up some signals over the air, but since you have digital cable you get your channels just by plugging in if you want

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
trpnmonkey41 said:
Yep. I have used it to convert my VHS tapes and Hi8 tapes to digital
Excellent, I might just have to buy one of these things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
trpnmonkey41 said:
Yea you don't need to worry about the cable from the wall if you are only interested in the conversion. I haven't looked too much at the specs on the Hybrid but if your main thing is conversion I would recommend looking into the hardware based tuners. These require virtually no system resources to do the conversion which will prevent any hiccups in the conversion

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm

I have the plextor. It says 229 on the site but I got it for less at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814144505

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250
Is 50 more than the Hybrid but has hardware based encoding, which can be switched to software if you need low latency

The only true advantage of the hybrid apart from the price is that it can pick up some signals over the air, but since you have digital cable you get your channels just by plugging in if you want

Oh bugger! They are out of stock at newegg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NewEgg is usually very fast with restocking...I would say before the end of next week

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
trpnmonkey41 said:
NewEgg is usually very fast with restocking...I would say before the end of next week
Great. I will keep checking. I have been trying to find something like this for the Mac. :)

Reaction score
Does anyone have any screenshots of the picture quality of these hybrid sticks?

Would be great to see what the pic quality is like, im really interested in one.

Im from the UK, so obviously need a UK version, if i buy off their website, i should get a UK one right? or does anyone know anywhere in the UK that stocks these?

Cheers,

Edward

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok another question... and hopefully someone can answer the guys question above me at the same time :)

Which would be better to get, the Hybrid or the 250?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends on your needs Murlyn.

The pros of the Hybrid are that its a little cheaper, smaller, doesn't require external power.

The pros of the 250 are that it can use its hardware encoder to use less system resources and give you the best possible quality, or it can use the software encoding for less latency.

With the software encoding you can't pause live tv without actually manually recording the show. With hardware it keeps a buffer in either the RAM or on your Hard drive allowing you to pause anything you are watching

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very cool answer, thanks..

Ok so let me see if I hear you correctly.. with the hybrid I can't pause live tv unless im recording, but with the 250 I can regardless of whether I am recording or not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.