Looks like its time for a new computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Well here we go, I'm updating my computer.

I have two main choices Macbook, or macbook pro? I can get the a macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 100 or 120 gig hard drive for just about the same price as I can get a baseline macbook pro. The only advantadge I can see of getting the macbook is the graphics card, and I can't decide how big of a difference this will make. The other consideration is of the woodcrest, and if apple will update the macbook pro with these processors in the next month as rumored. So if I were to go for the macbook pro, I would end up waiting about a month. However, If I went for the macbook I could get it now totally upgraded. I eventually will be able to upgrade the macbook pro if I buy it anway, but it won't be immediate. Any comments will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
macAttack said:
Well here we go, I'm updating my computer.

I have two main choices Macbook, or macbook pro? I can get the a macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 100 or 120 gig hard drive for just about the same price as I can get a baseline macbook pro. The only advantadge I can see of getting the macbook is the graphics card, and I can't decide how big of a difference this will make. The other consideration is of the woodcrest, and if apple will update the macbook pro with these processors in the next month as rumored. So if I were to go for the macbook pro, I would end up waiting about a month. However, If I went for the macbook I could get it now totally upgraded. I eventually will be able to upgrade the macbook pro if I buy it anway, but it won't be immediate. Any comments will be appreciated.

If you have the dough I would go for the MBP. In my opinion it is a better choice because you are not stuck with the glossy screen if you dont like it and it has a better sized screen (13" doesn't really cut it for me). Also definately wait and see what the crack with the updated MPBs are. If you don't plan on doing some hardcore work on you computer then you can't really go wrong with the MacBook though.

Good luck

K

Katie

yes, if you have the $$ I would definitely wait a little bit and go for the MBP. otherwise, the Macbook is still a great laptop.. especially if you put as much as you can into it. :)

Reaction score
I have a MacBook and I would love to have a MBP. If you can afford it, then get the MBP, it is a better machine overall. I only paid 900 for MacBook fully loaded. So it was a no brainer. Still, the MB is a great machine for the money.

Reaction score
I bought the macbook and I have been more than happy with it, I would say that unless you have special requirements that mean you need dedicated graphics and a larger display (3d rendering, heavy gaming, heavy graphics work etc) then a macbook will technically fulfill your needs admirably.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Woodcrest is Intels Xenon workstation CPU and will never go into the Macbook or Pro. What they will do eventually is go with the Merom which is the new Core 2 CPU for Laptops. Who knows when they will update. I know you want the latest but it maybe be a while. Also read the test on Anandtech about the Merom compaired to the Yonah Core that is currently in the Macbook and Pro. The Core 2 Mobile (Merom) is in a lot of benchmarks not all that much faster than the current Core Duo.

Reaction score
Also read the test on Anandtech about the Merom compaired to the Yonah Core
There a little faster plus they run much cooler.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Thank you for the replies!
So it seems that the macbook pro is the way to go. I've decided I could really use the graphics card, and the other small features bump it well over the macbook. Now, I'm just going to wait to see if the merom (not woodcrest!) is eventually used in the 'books. I read that article, and it still seems to me that I'll wait for the newer computer, if it comes out. The slightest the upgrade would be very nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
ripfrankwhite said:
I have a MacBook and I would love to have a MBP. If you can afford it, then get the MBP, it is a better machine overall. I only paid 900 for MacBook fully loaded. So it was a no brainer. Still, the MB is a great machine for the money.

How did you pull off a loaded MB for only $900? Doesnt it start at $1099?

Reaction score
Ya i like to know how you got one fully loaded for $900 too?? I paid $1499 for a black macbook and a 1gb of memory and thats with the student discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
macAttack said:
Thank you for the replies!
So it seems that the macbook pro is the way to go. I've decided I could really use the graphics card, and the other small features bump it well over the macbook. Now, I'm just going to wait to see if the merom (not woodcrest!) is eventually used in the 'books. I read that article, and it still seems to me that I'll wait for the newer computer, if it comes out. The slightest the upgrade would be very nice.

Good choice.

If I had my purchase to do over again, I'd probably go for the MBP over the MB. Not that I'm disappointed in the MacBook, but you'll definitely see where the extra money went with the MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.