Clicker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook 1gb ram 60gb HD... 1gb Ipod Nano (white)
I dont know the correct name for the clicker below the trackpad but heres my one and only complaint about my macbook. When I go to click on something it feels like I have to press so hard on the clicker to get it to work. It feels like Im pressing on a hard piece of rubber, like there is absolutely no slack in it whatsoever. Its hard to drag something because I have to keep it pressed so firmly down im constantly dropping whatever im dragging. I guess I cant call it a clicker because there isnt a click. I bought my macbook brand new and ive noticed it from day one. I dont know maybe Im the only one since I havent heard of anyone else complaining about this. I just couldnt see someone with arthritus (sp?) trying to use this thing for more then 15 minutes. Other then this, Im happy I switched and will never go back.

Id like to hear your opinions on this, how hard are yours to press???..maybe mine came broke or something from factory?!

thanks!

btw.. i can get a slight "click" if I press in the center not on the sides

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I've heard of many people having this problem with MacBooks. As I don't have one I don't have any personal experience, but I did read somewhere that putting a small folded up piece of paper under the battery at the center of the button give it a much better response. Currently I'm stuck on dial up and my searching for the article isn't going to well. I'll try to find it for you tomorrow as it has pictures that are much easier to understand and follow.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see what you mean. The other day I took out my battery and you can see the backside of the clicker, maybe ill try to do something like that.. thanks.

Reaction score
Mine clicks effortlessly. Depending on how long ago you bought it, and from where, I would recommend returning it to have it fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
if you put a tiny piece of folded paper under the battery where the clicker is then you put the battery back in it will click better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
campayne said:
if you put a tiny piece of folded paper under the battery where the clicker is then you put the battery back in it will click better

That's what I was talking about, but was having a hard time explaining it well.

A

AdamsApple

I had the same problem on MacBook #2.
I say MacBook #2 - because:

MacBook #1 - had a bad Superdrive and wouldn't read/import most of my CD collection.
MacBook #2 - had a bad Trackpad button (peformed exactly as described in the post above). Superdrive okay on this one.
MacBook #3 - another bad Superdrive. Trackpad button okay on this one.
MacBook #4 - (going today) checking THOROUGHLY before I walk out of the store.

All that said - I have to say that the guys at the Genius Bar and the manager of the Apple store have been fantastic. No problems what so ever - and they just keep giving me new ones.

At some point - I'm hoping to get lucky and get a completely functional product!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
AdamsApple said:

MacBook #1 - had a bad Superdrive and wouldn't read/import most of my CD collection.
MacBook #2 - had a bad Trackpad button (peformed exactly as described in the post above). Superdrive okay on this one.

All that said - I have to say that the guys at the Genius Bar and the manager of the Apple store have been fantastic. No problems what so ever - and they just keep giving me new ones.

At some point - I'm hoping to get lucky and get a completely functional product!

You are a patient guy! I commend your dedication to Apple.

Reaction score
AdamsApple said:

Lol I'm glad I went with a refurb after reading stories like this!
(The way i see it... someone already had their problem with it, Apple fixed it and now i dont have to deal with it.... knock on wood :mac: )

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AdamsApple said:

So you got a whole new macbook because your button was acting up? Mine is two months old I wonder if they would still replace it. The button only really bugs me when I have to drag something. I cant drag anything for more then two seconds without having to click on it again. Would be nice since I had two scratches (deep two inch long slices) on the top of the case when I got it.... I think Ill call apple and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
That must have been one generous apple store. Usually they'd just replace the keyboard and topcase for a button being a bit off. I guess they'll sell the other ones as refurb, but it does seem strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.