Maximizing windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
I know this is a really minor concern, but it's something that's been bugging me so I thought I'd ask about it. i come from a Linux background, if that matters.

So far, I'm loving my new Macbook Pro, but there's a few niggling issues that aren't so much problems as they are differences of opinion. For example, me and Apple disagree on the meaning of "maximize". For me, maximizing a window means extending the borders to the edge of the screen given its current resolution. To Apple, at least the Safari dev team, it means to widen the window to the width of the largest thing on there. For example, if I maximize the Safari window of this page as I type this post, it only goes from the left edge of "Post new thread" to the right of the smiley box -- only about 40% of my actual screen width.

Is there any way to make OS X see eye to eye with me on this, or am I just going to have to get used to it? I've scoured system prefs, but I haven't found much.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is no need to waste screen space by maximizing to a full screen. This is something you will have to deal with because its something apple is pretty proud of having instead of wasting a full screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you can always drag the window (resize manually) to fit the size you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Thats what I learned the hard way after hitting the green button about 10 times today. You've just got to drag it to the edges :)

Reaction score
It took me a little while to accustom myself to my new 20" Widescreen. But I'm there. Maximising windows to fit the screen is possible but mostly I keep open windows alongside each other it works better that way for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Its funny because any seasoned Windows user lives by maximizing. It would REALLY bother me to see a non-max'd window before. Now I swear by Apples idea of not wasting all the space. Not sure why, but I felt the mac allowed me to learn to love another style. a maxed out window now just seems silly. the web page isnt that big!

OP
Hikaru79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
you can always drag the window (resize manually) to fit the size you want.

This would be okay with me except for another Apple inconsistancy -- where I come from, I'm used to all four corners of a window (even the sides) being drag-able to resize. In OS X it seems only the bottom-right can do that. This is a pain because unless the window is already as far to the upper-left as it can go, I also have to MOVE the window in order to resize it. And since windows also don't snap to the edges of the screen, it may take several moves and drags to get it to the desired size.

Something else I'll have to get used to I guess :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You call it an apple inconsistancy....why isn't it a Windows inconsistancy?

I think you should try out apples version of the maximize. You switched from PC's for a reason, so why not actually switch the way apple meant it to be?

OP
Hikaru79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
You call it an apple inconsistancy....why isn't it a Windows inconsistancy?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear -- I'm not saying it's Apple's fault, I meant it's an inconsistancy with what I'm used to. It's *my* inconsistancy.

Also, just for the record, I've hardly used Windows, my previous experience comes from KDE and especially Gnome (which is actually pretty OS-X-like)

OP
Hikaru79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
I think you should try out apples version of the maximize. You switched from PC's for a reason, so why not actually switch the way apple meant it to be?

Also, since you bring that up, I'll mention the reason why I would like to fully maximize. See, I'm pretty clumsy, so if I have Safari taking up 40% of the screen, sooner or later (usually sooner) I'm going to misclick and select whatever window was behind Safari, essentially making it disappear until I find it in the dock.

In Gnome and KDE, I could, with one keystroke, designate a window to stay on top of all others regardless of whether it was selected or not. Does OS X have similar functionality? I could not find it in keyboard system prefs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hikaru79 said:
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear -- I'm not saying it's Apple's fault, I meant it's an inconsistancy with what I'm used to. It's *my* inconsistancy.

Also, just for the record, I've hardly used Windows, my previous experience comes from KDE and especially Gnome (which is actually pretty OS-X-like)

Fair enough

Hikaru79 said:
Also, since you bring that up, I'll mention the reason why I would like to fully maximize. See, I'm pretty clumsy, so if I have Safari taking up 40% of the screen, sooner or later (usually sooner) I'm going to misclick and select whatever window was behind Safari, essentially making it disappear until I find it in the dock.

In Gnome and KDE, I could, with one keystroke, designate a window to stay on top of all others regardless of whether it was selected or not. Does OS X have similar functionality? I could not find it in keyboard system prefs.

I don't know of any Keep on top function but you should try out Expose. System Preferences -> Expose. Set one of the corners on your screen as a hot corner to reveal all windows and you should have no problems managing your windows

OP
Hikaru79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
I don't know of any Keep on top function but you should try out Expose. System Preferences -> Expose. Set one of the corners on your screen as a hot corner to reveal all windows and you should have no problems managing your windows

Wow, neat! I'd given up on Expose when I couldn't get the keyboard shortcut working (It is set to F9 but whenever I use F9 it just tried to lower keyboard brightness. It turns out I have to Fn+F9).

But I tried it again now per your suggestion by setting it to the top-right corner, and it looks like it will be really useful. Thanks. tripn! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Expose incredibly useful for managing your windows. You can also use Apple+Tab to cycle through your active programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Hikaru79 said:
There is a third party app that adds the ability to keep windows on top. I've never used it but I thought I'd give you a link incase you wanted to try it out. Its called Afloat

Reaction score
Even though Im working on a 21" I often prefer maximizing windows. I find it gives you a more uncluttered workingspace. Just like the big relief when tabbed browsing was invented.

Found a solution at http://maclife.techactually.com/news.php?item.80.9:

"Megazoomer makes windows full-screen. Just press Command-Enter, and the front-most window grows to fill your entire monitor. Press the same keys, and it shrinks again. However, to make it work you need to install SIMBL plugins."

Megazoomer: http://ianhenderson.org/megazoomer.html
SIMBL: http://culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Hikaru79 said:
Wow, neat! I'd given up on Expose when I couldn't get the keyboard shortcut working (It is set to F9 but whenever I use F9 it just tried to lower keyboard brightness. It turns out I have to Fn+F9).

But I tried it again now per your suggestion by setting it to the top-right corner, and it looks like it will be really useful. Thanks. tripn! :)
I use Expose so frequently that I've assigned it to my middle, scroll-wheel mouse button. Much easier for me than using some key or key combination, or accidentally activating it when moving to a corner of my screen. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
Hikaru79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, this forum is just full of information. Thank you, everyone, for your extremely helpful replies :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.