external hard drive woes

M

maxler3

All, when trying to delete files from my maxtor 1-touch 3 300gb external hd on a mac mini, i get an error code 1407. i have permission to read and write on the drive. any help is very appreciated

matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Is the drive NTFS formatted? If it is you can't write/delete/modify the files on the drive

OP
M

maxler3

its FAT32, i can use the files and add more files to the drive, but can not delete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried a secure empty of the trash? Are the files open anywhere on the system?

OP
M

maxler3

just did a secure empty, no luck. no files open on the computer. it wont let me delete any files at all. again, error code 1407(which isnt listed in the error codes on any website) comes up when trying to delete off a maxtor hd.

please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try opening terminal and type in

sudo rm

put a space after the rm and drag the file you are trying to delete into the terminal window. Hit enter and put in your admin password when it asks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.