• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

how to connect Sony DCR-DVD305 to iMac?

L

lakeside

I just recieved a new Sony DCR-DVD305 camcorder and when I use the USB connection, nothing happens.

I figured it would just recognize it, but it doesn't.

I also tried dropping the smaller DVD into the side-slot superdrive...it didn't like it.

Is there a special cable I need to connect a Sony Camcorder to a Mac?

Thanks for your help,

Lakeside.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Never, Never put smaller than standard sized discs in a slot loading drive. I don't think you can connect DVD camcorders to Mac's to download the video. I think the only way to get the video onto the computer is with an external dvd drive and ripping it off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you have an intel imac and would rather put windows on yoru computer then have an extra thing on your desk (external dvd drive) then you can use the windows software that comes with the camera to put the video on the computer, then you can access it from mac osx to edit it in imovie, final cut, etc.

OP
I

imacthere4iam

PowerBookG4 said:
If you have an intel imac and would rather put windows on yoru computer then have an extra thing on your desk (external dvd drive) then you can use the windows software that comes with the camera to put the video on the computer, then you can access it from mac osx to edit it in imovie, final cut, etc.

I doesn't souind like a software issue. it sounds more like a hardware connection issue. anyway, why go through all that. you are making more problems for something thats a simple interface problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
When you have the camera connected via USB did you run any programs? The reason I ask is that when I connect my JVC mini DV camera via firewire nothing happens either. I was confused. However, when I opened up iMovie it recognized the camera and I was able to import the video from the mini DV tape.

Try that and see if it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
The mac will not recognize the DVD Camcorder. The whole reason for me switching over to a Mac was for me to edit my video of my son. But then i found out that the best (and only way) to do that is with tape. So i sold my DVD camcorder on ebay and bought a MiniDV camcorder. Works perfectly.

My DVD camcorder didn't have a firewire port so i was never able to try that out. However from a couple books i've read and from what i've seen online the DVD camcorders don't work to well with Mac's. Tapes are much better. I have several DVD's that i need to copy and convert the VOB's to something that is editable but havent had the chance since my mom is the only one with a DVD drive able to accept the small discs on her PC.

OP
V

v8pitbull

Sony DVD Camcorders

Hi
I have the same camcorder as you. I am new to the world of Mac but I do know that computers see this camera as a storage medium, a hard drive and not as a camera. They dont (or mine dosent anyway) have firewire, just a usb. You can get the files onto the computer using the usb but only by using the sofware that comes with the camera and you can do little with it as the software is so useless. You can decode the finished disk with HandBrake and them process it with iDVD but it takes forever and there is (or I havent found it yet being new to iDVD) no facility to edit the mpeg4 files. In a nutshell the sony handycams are as much use as on fish if you want to do anything other than point and shoot, mine is being sold this week and I will get one of the older tape variety cameras with firewire.
Not good news but I hope it is of some help to you.
Kind regards
v8pitbull

Reaction score
Using a Sony USB Camcorder on a mac

Follow these steps:
Connect your camcorder to the mac via usb.
Hit the play/edit button on the camcorder and instruct it to play through the computer.
The disc will now show up as an icon on your desktop.
Copy the VIDEO_TS folder onto your hard drive.
Using a program like dvdxdv convert your VIDEO_TS files into dv files.
You can now use imovie and idvd to make your dvd
This method works really well for me,hopefully it should help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.