Brand new MacBook . . . Problem with iPhoto

Reaction score
SO here I am! Finally a switcher . . . trying to feel my way around the new os and I think I was even able to hit a snag without meaning too . . . as much as I have been told that wasn't possible! Can anyone help?

I have been a PC geek forever and got really excited when I got my new MacBook on monday (2.0 ghz, 512 mem, 60gb hd, superdrive, etc . . .). I have been backing up all my media from my PC's on this Western Digital external harddrive and I wanted to move all of my photos into iPhoto cause I heard it was nifty. Problem is Windows creates all these files that aren't REALLY compatible with mac . . . you know, thumbnail files, autorun files . . . random things. Now I don't know if this messes things up or not, but I do find that iPhoto starts to hang when I did the import and I have to force quit it MANY times. So finally I decide to do this the slow way and see where the hangup is and I start pulling my photos into iPhoto one at a time. I get everything in there and am happy . . . but NOW when I start iPhoto I get this message:

441 Photos have been found in the iPhoto Library folder that were not imported.

Would you like to import them?

Yes/No

This message will NOT go away. Saying YES means iPhoto hangs and I get the pinwheel and have to forcequit. Saying NO Means I just get the message next time I start iPhoto and this ALSO means that other applications hang and can't access iPhoto (Front Row, iWeb, etc . . .) . . . saying YES and then cancelling before the programs hangs drops the question of whether or not to delete the photos. whether I select yes or no makes no difference . . . I get the same message.

The only thing I have been able to think of was to delete the photos off the harddrive that are in the "recovered" folder . . . this didn't do anything.

Eeeek! Forgive me for my mac-newbie language . . . I am leaning as I go! So far so good for day 2 though!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks So much!

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Ah good question.
Regrettably not one that I know the answer to. However enjoy your new Macbook.

Reaction score
a) Update your iPhoto
b) Keep all photos somewhere ready and delete the contents of the iPhoto photo folder. Then re-import the photos by dragging them into your iPhoto library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Have you tried to put all the photos in one centeral location, and just opening up spotlight and have it search for .jpg files?

Quick Tip - Open up the folder you want to search in, Hit Command-F and in the spotlight box, (at the top of the folder), enter the file name (or Extension(s)) you want to search for.

Once you have all the Photos, open up iPhoto, go back to your Photo Folder and hit Command-A and then just drag over the files into the iPhoto Window.

This will give you all your photos in iPhoto!

Reaction score
try updating it as kaidomac said :) that might help otherwise i have no idea

enjoy ur macbook

OP
B
Reaction score
Tried the update . . . no dice

but deleting everything and doing the spotlight thing worked BRILLIANTLY . . . its pretty sick how amazing Spotlight is . . . its such a powerful OS tool . . . since I have been a windows user for so long, I so easily forget that its there!!! Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Glad my advice worked! - another step you can do is take all the same photos, put them into a different folder, and delete the folder that contains all the Windows junk you dont want... like those annoying (thumbs.db) files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Its awesome how many different ways there were to solve this problem. Wayy to go JGrub

G

Gundampilotspaz

Wanted to switch over to the Macbook myself, can I ask if the 60GB HD with 512MB of Ram is good to at least start with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Gundam use the search function. You will find MANy threads with these exact issues. Taking in to account that you are new here on the forums, I will simply tell you that most people recommend keeping 60 gb hd and 512 ram and buying more ram from a site like newegg.com and using an external harddrive. this will save you a lot of money.

OP
B
Reaction score
Tried the update . . . no dice

but deleting everything and doing the spotlight thing worked BRILLIANTLY . . . its pretty sick how amazing Spotlight is . . . its such a powerful OS tool . . . since I have been a windows user for so long, I so easily forget that its there!!! Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Do I delete these

Glad my advice worked! - another step you can do is take all the same photos, put them into a different folder, and delete the folder that contains all the Windows junk you dont want... like those annoying (thumbs.db) files.

Should I just go to spotlight and delete all the thumbs.db files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.