Password problems

F

FlMacGuy

I don't see how I did it, but I screwed up! lol
I just loaded 10.3 onto my iMac and there are a couple of things I need to do (such as create symbolic links in the /bin directory). Well I need root access to do this. I used one password for everything on this computer and I can login as myself, but I cannot login as root to perform these tasks.
I don't understand how root got a different password but it did. I tried passwd but it stills says I cannot change it because the original is a wrong password. Is there a way to change the password without reloading the entire OS? I do need root access but I cannot login! grr! Thanks all!

OP
F

FlMacGuy

FlMacGuy said:
I don't see how I did it, but I screwed up! lol
I just loaded 10.3 onto my iMac and there are a couple of things I need to do (such as create symbolic links in the /bin directory). Well I need root access to do this. I used one password for everything on this computer and I can login as myself, but I cannot login as root to perform these tasks.
I don't understand how root got a different password but it did. I tried passwd but it stills says I cannot change it because the original is a wrong password. Is there a way to change the password without reloading the entire OS? I do need root access but I cannot login! grr! Thanks all!

Nevermind I figured it out.. for those who searched and found this thread. What I did was take the OSX install cd, and clicked on the "OSX INSTALLER" on the bar at the top and went down to "reset password"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.