• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Audio from Multiple Sources - Help Plz?

N

ngcomputing

Hi,

I've been diggin around with this for a while to no avail, so I figure someone on the forums might have found a solution or have some recommendations.

First, I'm considering purchasing a new sound system for my mac.

----
What I want to be able to do play all the music/sound from the mac out to the sound system -- in addition, I have a directv reciever in a room about 25' away that I would like to hook it into the same sound system in order to play XM satellite music channels (or just listen to the news).
----

1) I've considered buying a sound system (speakers) that plugs into the mac, but also has RCA jacks where I can run a 25' cable from the DirecTV reciever into the new sound system.

2) The other option I thought of is just buying a "boom box" and putting FM transmitters on both the MAC and the DirecTV box. So, If I want system/mac sounds & music I tune to one frequency, if I want to listen to XM I tune the "boom box" to a different frequency.

I would like any suggestions on other methods or ideas anyone may have.

In short, play all mac music and sounds through a set of speakers and also play sound from a directv receiver 25' away through those speakers.

Thanks much!

:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you must remember that your setup for y our sound is going to get all screwed up what you need is for your computer and tv to be viewable from the same spot. it is confusing to explain but think about what may happen if your left right chanel get switched or suddenly your left chanel becomes your front chanel and your right becomes your rear
-hris

OP
N

ngcomputing

Geez, I'm thinking too hard here. Wonder If I just run the 25' RCA cable into a RCA to 1/4" adapter (I already have a RCA input to 1/4" stereo adapter) then plug that into the line in port. That way, if I want to hear the TV, I just can toggle the line in on and off. All the audio is going to the line out to the speakers, so I could easly turn the satellite sound input on and off through OS/X.

OP
N

ngcomputing

The receiver only has L & R output -- RCA plugs. So running that into a RCA female (L&R) to 1/4" stereo male Y adapter -- that would plug right into my PowerMAC.

Only thing I have to consider now, is that is a source of power through the line, hmm, wonder if RShack has a mid-line resistor -- that way if a hit came throught the satellite (not talking about through the wall, which is surge protected) it would blow the resistor on the RCA cable that connects the reciever and the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.