Defragging?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 80 GB | 1 GB RAM
I am obsessed with keeping my mac clean and running as smoothly as possible. I have Onyx and a few other programs like that, but I'm not sure if they do everything I need. I would like to defrag my mac, but I'm not sure how necessary it is (if it does it itself or something like that). The only program that I've heard of that does this is iDefrag. I was wondering if that is the best program available and if there is maybe a free alternative.

I know this has to have been discussed before, so just point me to that thread if anyone knows where it is.

Thanks for any help!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 80 GB | 1 GB RAM
Thanks guys. I thought I didn't really need to, but I was unsure.

M

menace3054

i use tech tool pro to defrag every 2-3 months, and when i do, i notice considerable performance increases

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
menace3054 said:
i use tech tool pro to defrag every 2-3 months, and when i do, i notice considerable performance increases

we need benchmark tests!!!!!!!
-chris

Reaction score
Can someone please benchmark performance gains after defragmentation?

coach_z said:
we need benchmark tests!!!!!!!
-chris

So who's gonna do it?

[Not me: I don't have any benchmarking softwares!]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Anil_robo said:
So who's gonna do it?

[Not me: I don't have any benchmarking softwares!]

the person who actually defrags is going to do it
-chris

M

menace3054

k ill wait a few months since i just got this, then right before i do it ill benchmark

does anyone know if xbench is accurate with the intel macs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My question has always been is XBench an accurate benchmark on any Mac? Please no bad rep from xbench people. I have little respect for most static benchmarks and Xbench changes every time I run it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I have TechTool Pro (came with AppleCare) but am not sure how to defrag (though I don't want to as I don't need to, plus it's quite pointless) and I don't know of any benchmarking software.

So I could in theory do it, but don't feel like it.

M

menace3054

BlindingLights said:
I have TechTool Pro (came with AppleCare) but am not sure how to defrag (though I don't want to as I don't need to, plus it's quite pointless) and I don't know of any benchmarking software.

So I could in theory do it, but don't feel like it.

apple care comes with tech tool not tech tool pro

dtravis, i agree when i used to run it on my powerbook, i get significantly different results sometimes within seconds of other tests, i would normally do 10 or so and average them... im not sure of any other cheap alternatives though, so we might be stuck with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
dtravis7 said:
My question has always been is XBench an accurate benchmark on any Mac? Please no bad rep from xbench people. I have little respect for most static benchmarks and Xbench changes every time I run it.

Xbench is not accurate.. there have been times that my powerbook has beat my powermac quad.. the powerbook as 1 gig of ram, a screwy hard drive that needs to be fixed, and is a g4 1.5 ghz, the power mac how ever is 4 g5's 4 gigs of ram, and 2 sata drives... There is no way that the powerbook should win, even if it was only once, that was once to many for me to ever trust the results from xbench.

M

menace3054

PowerBookG4 said:
Xbench is not accurate.. there have been times that my powerbook has beat my powermac quad.. the powerbook as 1 gig of ram, a screwy hard drive that needs to be fixed, and is a g4 1.5 ghz, the power mac how ever is 4 g5's 4 gigs of ram, and 2 sata drives... There is no way that the powerbook should win, even if it was only once, that was once to many for me to ever trust the results from xbench.

dang that is crazy, i wouldnt trust them either if i got those kind of results

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.