Audio out on imac

Reaction score
I've recently (2 weeks now) switched over from the PC to the mac and so far everything has been good except for one pain.

I've plugged in a mini stereo cable into the audio out on the back of the imac and have it run into my stereo so that I can feed audio direct from my imac and not through my ipod so I can access my full library. I set the volume on my imac and 75% and then adjust the volume on my stereo...except I nearly have to max out my stereo before I get a decent volume. I typically listen to my stereo at 10-15/40 but with my imac connected i have to have it at 30/40 to get even close to my normal volume.

Any ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What is the volume set at in iTunes? You can also adjust the EQ in iTunes and set the preamp volume a little higher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
isnt the line out non amplified?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Correct, but the line-out should be approximately the same volume as other non-amplified devices (CD player, tape deck, etc.).

OP
M
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
What is the volume set at in iTunes? You can also adjust the EQ in iTunes and set the preamp volume a little higher.

I typically never exceed 75% of the max volume to avoid distortion making its way into the signal. I should try the preamp volume and see if that helps.

Aptmunich said:
Correct, but the line-out should be approximately the same volume as other non-amplified devices (CD player, tape deck, etc.).

I wish that were the case but I have full control of all of the volume settings through the mac when all I really want is a non amplified signal so the volume is consistent with my other stereo equipment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The volume slider in iTunes itself can safely be turned all the way to 100% without distorting the audio. The Pre-amp however can cause nasty digital distortion.

I'm not sure on this, but the iMac might have separate volume settings for the internal speakers and external line-out.

Check under Apps->Utilities-> Audio Midi setup and select 'Built-in Output' in the 'Properties for' box. (2nd box on the left).

Check to see if the volume is not turned down there...

Alternatively consider a separate usb audio output or consider investing in an Airport Express wireless audio adapter.

I use one and the volume has never been an issue here... plus you can adjust it independently of your iMac's volume.

OP
M
Reaction score
^ I finally had an opportunity to try out this setting change and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.