Minimising Windows Issue

G

gtee

I have recently 'acquired' a problem with minimising open windows. I am running the latest version of Tiger on an iMac G5 with 1 gig RAM.
Any open window will not minimise when I click the yellow button at the top-left of the window. The keyboard shortcut does not work either.
It is not a crucial issue but very annoying. When I click the yellow button - I get the beachball for about 10 seconds and then eventually I am able to proceed. Every now and again - it hangs.

I have not installed any new apps but I think it all began around the time of upgrading to the latest OSX release.

Any ideas? I have repaired permission - even via the Tiger install disc, reset my PRAM, rebooted, cleared caches - everything I can think of.

Am I just better doing a clean install?

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is almost always a better option than just reinstalling the OS.

Try fsck.
When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode.

It also has a lot to do with how many apps you have open at any given time, what apps you have open and how much RAM you have. One GB of RAM shouldn't give you too many problems, but if you have lots of RAM hungry apps open it very well could.

OP
G

gtee

No success

D3v1L80Y said:
There is almost always a better option than just reinstalling the OS.

Try fsck.
When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode.

It also has a lot to do with how many apps you have open at any given time, what apps you have open and how much RAM you have. One GB of RAM shouldn't give you too many problems, but if you have lots of RAM hungry apps open it very well could.

Did the fsck - no difference to problem.
I realise I have installed an app lately - Virtual PC. Are there any known issues?

All of my issues have been when I only have 1 app open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.