My latest revision MacBook Pro whines?!?!?

C

cbeck

Hi,

I recently purchased a 15.4" 2.16 GHz MBP with the latest revision motherboard (serial #W86281PUVWZ). I had previously returned a earlier MBP because of the whine. The newest revision motherboard is supposed to take care of the problem, but I've noticed that the new 'book makes the same exact noise only much quieter.

Is this normal? You can barely hear the noise unless you put your ear right up to the keyboard. I'm authorized for a replacement ... should I return it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Why are you putting your ear right up against the keyboard?

OP
C

cbeck

trpnmonkey41 said:
Why are you putting your ear right up against the keyboard?

Fair enough. I'll be using this laptop while attending law school. My worry is that when I'm in a dead-quiet library at 3am trying to punch out a paper, the whine will be audible and annoy me. In a noisy house with roomates, putting my ear close to the keyboard is the only way I can hear it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
There are probably more comfortable places to take naps besides on a keyboard. Anyway, if it bothers you that much and you can do without it for a while I say go ahead and get it replaced. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother with it if it is that quiet.

OP
C

cbeck

I'm mainly interest in figuring out if ALL of the newer revision boards have a faint whine. Can someone with good hearing and a latest revision board do the ear-to-keyboard test for me?

OP
M

menace3054

mine kinda hums, the only "whine" i hear is the hd needle moving

i mean if it really bothers you, id replace it. but maybe you should go to an apple store and see if theirs makes the same noise, they might wonder why you have your ear on it but it would be worth doing before you go through the hassle of getting a replacement

OP
C

cbeck

Actually, I can hear the whine at a normal distance when the room is quiet.

And one more thing I just discovered ... the whine is only audible when connected to AC power. When running on batter, it's dead silent.

OP
M

menace3054

sounds like a battery issue and not a motherboard issue then

<because why would the sound go away depending on power source?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
or something to do with the speakers picking up static / whatever its called when the ac adapter is connected

OP
C

cbeck

I doubt it's the speakers or the battery. It sounds exactly like the processor whine, the frequency of the sound varies with CPU load, and the QuietMBP program stops the noise.

OP
S

storyoftheghost

how long does the repair take? cause i thought about gettin it done, but i just may deal with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
yeah i have the same problem :(

only when the power cord is in does this happen also the whinning stops when i keep my finger pressed down on the mouse pad click button.

so do you think i should send my macbookpro back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
Try this -- run Photo Booth. Does the whine stop then? If it does, you have the famous idle-processor sound. Google "QuietMBP" and use that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.