OS 9.2.1 installation question???

D

dr benway

Hello

I have a refurbished G3 imac which came with OSX pre-installed (but not with OS9)

I want to install OS9 on the same HD so I can dual-boot. This is so I can use some old versions of music software.

What I want to end up with is OSX and OS9 on the same drive, preferably without having to create a partition (I have some design software installed on OSX for which I long since lost the install disks, so I don't want to erase anything! )

I've been told that this is possible, and that it's a simple case of booting from the OS9 CD and running the installer. I should then be able to boot from one OS to another by selecting "System Preferences/Startup Disk" (from OS X), or "Control Panels/Startup Disk" (from OS 9) and then restarting.

However.. when I run the installer and get to the bit where it asks me where I want to install OS9, it tells me:

"This version of Mac OS 9.2.1 may not be installed over the system software on the currently selected volume. Press the "Options" button to perform a clean installation"

I only have one option in the drop-down menu: "Untitled" which I assume is my hard drive.

If I choose to perform a "clean installation" will this erase anything from my hard drive or effect my being able to use OSX at all??

What should I do?

...one other thing - on the OS 9 CD there appears to be two icons for an installer, one which is diamond-shaped called "Mac OS install" and another which is rectangular called "Install Mac OS 9.2.1" ...which should I click on? Or are they both the same?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You can install os9 environment on osx (its like a emulator). I don't remember how to do this so hopefully somebody else on the forums will know how.

OP
D

dr benway

Thanks D3v1L80Y... that link explains pretty much what I thought I should do. But what I need to know is, will performing a clean installation erase anything from my hard drive?

And will I still be able to boot back into OSX whenever I need to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
The other thing you could do is buy an external FireWire drive and install and boot from that, unless you have a G3 that doesn't have firewire ports.

OP
D

dr benway

I have firewire ports, I just dont have any money to buy a firewire drive with!

Do I really need to do that though?

Does anyone know if performing a clean install of OS 9.2.1 on the same drive (and same partition) as OSX will erase anything on my hard drive or mess up my OSX at all ??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.