Maximum HD Capacity on a Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics)

T

t_a_o

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum hard disk capacity was for this model. I know on some boards if you add a hard-drive with higher capacity than the board can handle it will register up to the maximum, and the rest will be unused. Is this the case on this board?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Yes, there is a limit of 128GB per drive... To use bigger disk, you need to add a PCI ATA-controller.

OP
T

t_a_o

Hi Avalon,

Thank you for the reply. Say I wish to go ahead and install a PCI ATA controller does this mean that I have to buy a specific type of hard drive to work with it? Will an IDE drive work on an ATA controller? What is the difference between ATA and SATA? Are the hard drives cross-compatible? Do I have to stick to certain brands when picking a controller or will they all work? As I have an older mac I want to get the best performance possible out of it. Does this mean I would be better off having my system folders and applications on the ATA controlled drive?

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.