Does 12" PB memory fit in new Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, Mac Mini & 12" PowerBook
Hello

My 12" PowerBook is about to die. In fact I will be very lucky if I can get it to start again after the way it was behaving last night. The hard drive was making the craziest sounds and everything seized up. I'm fairly well backed up so that is not a problem.

I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini as a replacement. My question is will the 1gb chip that I bought for my PB fit in there? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Mini's use laptop memory chips.

According to apple-history.com my 2003 powerbook uses PC2100 DDR SO-DIMM (Minimum RAM Speed: 266 MHz) and the new mac minis use PC2-5300 SDRAM (Minimum RAM Speed: 667 MHz). They sound different but I don't know anything about memory so could be wrong.

If not, do folks recommend getting memory upgrades whilst buying the Mac or from a third party afterwards.

I'm gonna miss my PowerBook I wish they would make 12" MacBook Pros.

Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
I paid to have 2 gigs installed in my mini when I bought it. I do not want to open this thing myself, as it will void my warranty. If you feel like you have the knowledge and ability to open it and replace the RAM, you can buy 3rd party.

OP
bifter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that if it will take the 1Gb memory I have I will put that in there or get my friendly Mac reseller to do it. Question is will it fit? If not, I think you are right just get it done as I buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Check the Apple Store, look in Mac Accessories>Memory, then select the PowerBook Model. Then check your Mac Mini model. If it's the same, then you can reuse the RAM.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your Powerbook is using PC2100 DDR RAM. The Intel Mini uses DDR2. You can not put a DDR into a DDR2 system. They are totally different Ram chips.

OP
bifter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks dtravis7, oh well that's a shame

my PB is still alive, i'm using it now. i still think it is on its last legs though. or at least that is what i am telling myself to justify a new purchase ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mynameis said:
I think it'll fit, it just won't work...

Not only won't they work, but they are also physically different...they won't fit in the slot.

Reaction score
Avalon said:
Not only won't they work, but they are also physically different...they won't fit in the slot.

You are correct sir. While the SO-DIMMs memory sticks are the same dimensions for DDR and DDR2, the little notch is in a slightly different location so it won't fit. I had never held them next to each other before, but in pictures they look very similar. The difference isn't as obvious as the difference between desktop DDR vs. DDR2.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only thing that I wanted to be sure was that the OP did not think it might fit and try it and hurt his system.

M

menace3054

bifter said:
thanks dtravis7, oh well that's a shame

my PB is still alive, i'm using it now. i still think it is on its last legs though. or at least that is what i am telling myself to justify a new purchase ;)

what did you do to it that its dying?

OP
bifter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thanks for the advice. My PB finally gave out two days ago. I'm picking up my new Mac Mini 1.66 Core Dou with 2 GB of ram this afternoon. I'm excited!

I think that it is the hard drive on the PB that has gone judging by the sounds it is making...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.