G3 Password Security

L

lujane

ever been locked out of your beautiful powerbook. let's talk about password security!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No, but you can use the Mac OS X install CD to reset the pass word.

OP
L

lujane

locked out of %*&# power b. G3

actually, I have the first powerbook G3 made, which came with OS 8.
I've upgraded to 9.1 , but moved last month and can't figure what I changed my password to, and don't remember doing it.
Basically, i need the "special code" of keys that i guess you push, and Apple will charge me $50 for the information.
So if anyone has super-secret info, or links to such info, i'd appreciate it.

OP
T

Tangerine

lujane said:
actually, I have the first powerbook G3 made, which came with OS 8.
I've upgraded to 9.1 , but moved last month and can't figure what I changed my password to, and don't remember doing it.
Basically, i need the "special code" of keys that i guess you push, and Apple will charge me $50 for the information.
So if anyone has super-secret info, or links to such info, i'd appreciate it.

Hold down the shift key while starting up the computer.

OP
L

lujane

secure *%&#$% secure...

I went down to the local mac shop, and the young guy there was nice enough to call apple for me for free, get the special code, and solve the problem.
It's amazing how stupid most of the techs are, or how unwilling they are to help, short of telling you "well, you might as well buy a new mac".
I fixed my old powerbook, and I will not buy another powerbook until this one is on it's very last leg.
latr,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.