Connecting my Powerbook to an LCD TV

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect my Mac to an LCD TV I have going from DVI on my Mac to HDMI on my TV. All the resolutions look horrible except 1024x768, which looks acceptable. But for some reason it's cutting off the top and bottom of the screen. Like on my Mac I can see the full thing but on the TV half the dock it cut off and the menu bar at the top isn't visible at all. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Sounds like you need to change the video format on your LCD tv, not the resolution on the mac. HD capable TVs have many different display options. I would choose the one that's something like 16:9 widescreen or whatever.

OP
X
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply snoslicer.

Sadly, I tried this. It was actually on 16:9 already, so when i switched it to 4:3 it looked even worse.

I suspect for some reason my TV has issues. Yet the odd thing is, I have my Xbox 360 connected via the VGA connector, it looks perfect, but going from DVI to HDMI from the computer I can get it to look fine, but it's cropped on the top and bottom (more so on the top).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
What is the HD resolution of your tv? Is it 720p? If so, the native resolution of your set is probably 1366 x 768 which is the reason you're getting the screen cut off at the top and bottom.
The PowerBook doesn't support that resolution, but I think threre are third party apps that will do the trick.

Macworld mentions:
"Harold Schwedder's Display ConfigX 1.0.9 (free; www.3dexpress.de)"
and
"Stephane Madrau's switchResX 3.7.4 (www.madrau.com)"
"With these tools, you can tweak the interface to accept any resolution, and even delve into details like refresh rates.(For more on HDTV setup, see macworld.com/1528)"
info taken from Macworld Sept 2006

I hope this helps :batman:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.