Mail not getting old messages from a POP account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
Hello, everyone!

I've been trying to get Mail to download all of the messages on a POP account I have with my ISP. It has no problems picking up messages that have not yet been gathered by another one of my computers (running Outlook, Kontact, or Thunderbird), but if an e-mail has been previously downloaded by any of those other clients, Mail simply ignores it and it never shows up. This is only a one-way process -- emails that Mail downloads are still viewable to my other computers, and my other computers do not have this problem amongst themselves. Only Mail displays this strange behaviour.

Anyone know of a quick fix for this? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
its got nothing to do with mail. Your other clients are configured to remove the e-mails from the server whenever you connect to the account. Mail is the only one that is configured to leave the messages on your server.

OP
Hikaru79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
trpnmonkey41 said:
its got nothing to do with mail. Your other clients are configured to remove the e-mails from the server whenever you connect to the account. Mail is the only one that is configured to leave the messages on your server.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, because if, for example, I first open the message in Outlook, it will still appear to Kontact and Thunderbird, and vice versa. In fact, if I configure a new mail client (I tried this), and set up the POP account, it is able to download all the messages from the past three years without any problem. They are definitely *still there*.

Reaction score
I use google POP service with Mail. And you can set in gmail, from which time the emails would start to get delivered on POP access. For example, you could set "all mails from now on get delivered to POP programs" or something like that.

Makes life pretty easy for me.

I think you should contact your mail service provider if they can do something from their end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.