Imac 20" Intel Core Duo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've tried doing some research before posting but I haven't seen any actual forums regarding a comparison between the new Imac 20" Intel Core Duo and a Powermac G4 Dual 1.25ghz MDD. The latter is what I currently own, however, I am wondering which is faster (regarding the use of FCP, Soundtrack, etc)? Any personal experiences that people can let me know about? I guess there aren't many benchmarks regarding this comparison because the one's I found were not very informative on my web searches. I've been reading on forums that it might be better to upgrade eventually when Leopard comes out because of mainly a) the 64bit platform. I guess at that point if I upgrade many of the apps I own on my G4, such as FCP4 and Office 2004, would be obsolete on the new OS X right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
a) The Core duo isn't 64 bit... the Core2Duo will be.

b) Office 2004 will run, FCP 4 will not.

c) The intel iMac is comparable to the dual core Powermac G5 2.0 Ghz performance wise, so it would definitely be an upgrade over your current system.

N

ngcomputing

Aptmunich said:
a) The Core duo isn't 64 bit... the Core2Duo will be.

b) Office 2004 will run, FCP 4 will not.

c) The intel iMac is comparable to the dual core Powermac G5 2.0 Ghz performance wise, so it would definitely be an upgrade over your current system.

Leopard is supposed to utilize true 64-bit. The G5's are 64-bit and the Core Duo's are not?

Now the question is, I have a dual G5, will Apple not make leopard available to run on the existing G5's but offer a 64-bit OS that only runs on the new 32-Bit Intel based machines? Curiously, I read the other day that even though OS/X and the G5 line are 64-bit, the majority of applications are not written to take advantage of 64 bit performance anways.

I Love OS/X, but I won't tolerate having to buy all new hardware to run the next major release -- Microsoft is going to pull that with Vista, but, Apple has done it, sadly, several times over.

:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
ngcomputing said:
Leopard is supposed to utilize true 64-bit. The G5's are 64-bit and the Core Duo's are not?

Now the question is, I have a dual G5, will Apple not make leopard available to run on the existing G5's but offer a 64-bit OS that only runs on the new 32-Bit Intel based machines? Curiously, I read the other day that even though OS/X and the G5 line are 64-bit, the majority of applications are not written to take advantage of 64 bit performance anways.

I Love OS/X, but I won't tolerate having to buy all new hardware to run the next major release -- Microsoft is going to pull that with Vista, but, Apple has done it, sadly, several times over.

:eek:neye:

*sigh* you have sadly misunderstood the entire outlook of things. OS X Leopard will be NOTHING like vista.
NOTHING!!!
Okay, now to slowly tackle this post. Only the Mac Pros are currently 64-bit I believe. The Core Duo processors in current macs are 32-bit. Older G5 machines should be 32 bit, except for the PowerMac I'm not sure. Leopard will run on both 32 and 64 bit processors, and when it comes out many are expecting Apple to release macs with Core2Duo processors (Merom), which are 64-bit. So, Leopard will run on any mac as long as you have 1 GB of memory. It is true that many OS X apps and the OS itself do not take advantage of 64-bit technology, but also think about how new this technology is. How many PCs do you know that come standard with 64-bit processors? Exactly.

You will not need to buy new hardware in order to run Leopard, or else Steven Jobs is an idiot and I will strongly consider switching back to PC if he does so.

Okay, once more...
NOTHING!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.