[SAMBA] Configuring permissions

E

euthymos

Dear ones,

I've mounted a Samba volume, and I've set Apache's document root to a folder located into this volume.

When I try to access http://localhost/ I get the following message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Maybe this is a problem of permissions, so that Apache can't access the volume... What can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I would guess Apache is running under some username (root or www?) that needs to also be setup on the Samba server with appropriate permissions.

OP
E

euthymos

xstep said:
I would guess Apache is running under some username (root or www?) that needs to also be setup on the Samba server with appropriate permissions.

Yes, I think so. Therefore, how can I set up Samba to handle those permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You learn how Samba works. Sorry.

I did manage to get it working on one of my servers once after a lot reading and trial & error. I did this for a MS Windows box. Everything else I use is NFS. I'm definitely no expert on this subject.

From what I see in my smb.conf file, I have a global area defining the workgroup, security level of user, where to find the password file, and to use encrypted passwords. I also have two groups which are the remote view names with a path in one case, I think. The one with the path shows up in MS Windows.

In the password file I have a username that matches my common username on all my systems, and the 501 UID entry that matches the UID on the server for that user.

You might also require an entry in the hosts file for the client. I not sure.

Beyond this, I'm not much help. This is one of those subjects you have to learn by doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.