Hardware Compatability between Mac and IBM

V

v8pitbull

Hi Everyone
I am a new Mac user. I have at last given Windows the shove as I am sick to death of the crashes, the viruses and the frustration. I have thought of a Mac now for some time and have decided to take the plunge with a secondhand machine of eBay, The current spec. (According to the advert is:-
Apple G4 powermac quicksilver
•Running OSX 10.4.7
•800MHz CPU L2 Cache 256 KB
•40Gb hard drive space
•DVD/CDRW
•ATI Radeon 7500 - 32MB Video Card
•512Mb 133MHZ Ram
•2 x USB , 2 x FW400 Ports
•Bus Speed 133MHz
•VGA and ADC Ports
I have an amount of IBM compatable hardware such as a 160gb hard drive which would be better in this machine than on the shelf but will it work in the Mac?
I also have some IBM memory and a DVD burner but havent a clue if I can use them. Question:- Are there any sites that deal with compatability between the Mac and other hardware? Can anyone tell me if the OS will detect the new hardware and configure it automatically? Are there any pitfalls that I should beware of? How do I confirm what my machine specification really is?
Sorry for the many questions, any help or guidance greatfully received
Kind regards
v8pitbull

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Hiya pitbull,

Here is a link to the specs on what looks like the Mac your are looking at :

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/gigag4.html

The HDD you mentioned will almost certainly work, but has a limitation of max 128GB formatted capacity on quicksilvers prior to 2002. It sounds like you are looking at a 2002 quicksilver though. Worst case, you can use it but only 128GB of it.

The memory is PC133 SDRAM (3.3V, unbuffered, 64-bit, 168-pin, 133 MHz) from the specs. If that describes your extra RAM, it will probably work.

The DVD burner - most likely it will *not* be recognized out of the box except as a CD-ROM. There is a utility called 'patchburn' which will *probably* allow you to use your drive. More info here :

http://www.patchburn.de/

As far as identifying it - well as far as I know the only quicksilver single processor 800Mhz model is the one in the lowendmac link above. If it is the dual 800Mhz model, it would be the 2001 version. There are pictures and specs at that link that should be helpful in identifying the exact model you are looking at.

Have fun, Macs are truly great!

-Lonerider

v8pitbull said:
The current spec. (According to the advert is:-
Apple G4 powermac quicksilver
•Running OSX 10.4.7
•800MHz CPU L2 Cache 256 KB
•40Gb hard drive space
•DVD/CDRW
•ATI Radeon 7500 - 32MB Video Card
•512Mb 133MHZ Ram
•2 x USB , 2 x FW400 Ports
•Bus Speed 133MHz
•VGA and ADC Ports
I have an amount of IBM compatable hardware such as a 160gb hard drive which would be better in this machine than on the shelf but will it work in the Mac?
I also have some IBM memory and a DVD burner but havent a clue if I can use them. Question:- Are there any sites that deal with compatability between the Mac and other hardware? Can anyone tell me if the OS will detect the new hardware and configure it automatically? Are there any pitfalls that I should beware of? How do I confirm what my machine specification really is?
Sorry for the many questions, any help or guidance greatfully received
Kind regards
v8pitbull

OP
V

v8pitbull

Many Thanks!

Hi Lonerider
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I will have a look at the links shortly. After deciding that I had nothing to loose this afternoon I whipped the dvd burner out of my old PC, whipped the Mac apart (what a delightfully easy job it was too) and changed it over. Once assembled it worked just fine, no messing with drivers it just worked. I have spent the evening using the burner and Handbrake to rip my holiday dvds from the little sony disks. I have tried ripping and editing on several PC's with nothing but failure, this mac does the job no problem, a little slow granted but it does it. I will have a look at the hard drive situation in the morning but now I have been inside the Mac it looks like I can add a further drive leaving the old hard drive insitu.
I wish I had made the move to the Mac years ago, I might not look so old and haggered if I had of taken the plunge earlier. Somehow I dont have to swear at this machine or promise it grizzly deaths like I did with the XP afflicted IBM's
Better late than never!
Thanks again for taking the time to help me. It is very much appreciated
Kind regards
v8pitbull
PS If you have a windows PC that you need to swear at I can offer considerable assistance as I have had much experience and an extensive vocabulary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.