network macs and windows guide?

H

hollerz1

Hi,
Does anyone have any tutorials/guides on how to network a powerbook g4 and a windows xp pc?

I cant figure out how to do it and need some big files of my pc! I have got a crossover cable connecting them, and set the IP's etc, like I did to network 2 PC's, but still learning OS X so not sure what to do!

Thanks

OP
S

Shakermaker

AFAIK, you can't connect a Mac to q PC using a crossover connection and get them to work. Hooking the two up via a router would solve the problem. Make sure they are both on the same subnet/gateway, and off you go.

Two Macs are easy with a crossover - Two PC's with a crossover, not quite as easy, but easy enough. But the problem is between a Mac and a PC.

I got my Mac to show up on my PC using an Ethernet hub, but it was slower than frozen molasses...my friend has a router and has no probs at all

OP
H

hollerz1

Shakermaker said:
AFAIK, you can't connect a Mac to q PC using a crossover connection and get them to work. Hooking the two up via a router would solve the problem. Make sure they are both on the same subnet/gateway, and off you go.

Two Macs are easy with a crossover - Two PC's with a crossover, not quite as easy, but easy enough. But the problem is between a Mac and a PC.

I got my Mac to show up on my PC using an Ethernet hub, but it was slower than frozen molasses...my friend has a router and has no probs at all

Ahh thanks for the info. Guess I will have to buy a router then :(

Thanks,
Lee

OP
S

StarManta

if they have AirPort/Wifi it's ridiculously easy - On the Mac "Create Network" under the AirPort menu, then just connect to that network on the PC. Not sure, but i thought there was something similar for a hard connection.

Also it's different depending on which OS you have: 10.2? 3? (Apple menu->About this Mac)

I wouldn't resort to buying a router just yet if you dont need one.

OP
S

StarManta

Try This:

System Prefs --> Sharing
Internet tab
Check "Built-in Ethernet" and click Start

This is just a guess, but if you then connect the 2 computers, the PC might see the Mac as a sort of proxy server, hopefully allowing you to have them on the same network. Of course, this was all pulled out of my butt so odds are it won't work, but it seems like a good plan to me :)

OP
H

hollerz1

StarManta said:
Try This:

System Prefs --> Sharing
Internet tab
Check "Built-in Ethernet" and click Start

This is just a guess, but if you then connect the 2 computers, the PC might see the Mac as a sort of proxy server, hopefully allowing you to have them on the same network. Of course, this was all pulled out of my butt so odds are it won't work, but it seems like a good plan to me :)

Hi,
Thanks, but that didn't work.

I wouldn't mind buying a router if I needed them networked all the time, but i just need to copy some 10GB+ DV files accross, so cant put them on cd.

I guess the cheapest option would be to split the movie files and keep burning them to a Re-Writeable CD. Would take a while, but cant really afford any more hardware!

Thanks anyway,
Lee

OP
H

hollerz1

Hi,
well I got the network to work with a crossover cable, using Virtual PC.

I can see the files and copy them accross to my virtual machine. In the VPC help it says to copy the files from the PC to Mac, just drag them from the PC onto the Mac desktop, but when I try to drag them accross, the mouse wont go any further than the edge of the windows xp window, so i cant drag them accross.

Anyone know how to fix that?! :)

Thanks,
Lee

OP
H

hollerz1

Ahhh, I just needed to install "Additions" :)

And everythings copying accross fine now :D

OP
S

Stanley

I never had that problem.

I've connected my iBook to my PC (win 2000 or XP) with a cross linked utp cable. Then in windows I press right mouse on the network icon in my explorer window and select "add network drive". Then I type in the ipadress my mac gives me when I turn 'windows sharing' on and it allways works just fine. My mac comes as an extra 'drive' in the windows explorer tree...

or press command K in the finder of your Mac and you should see the network once the cable's plugged in...

OP
K

kjellquist

Along these line what do think I may run into with this setup. I currently have my Win 2K PC physically connected to router. I just ordered a new iBook and a base station. I am thinking the setup will go like this....Internet -> router -> PC and Base Station. Then the laptop will connect to the base station. Will I be able to network the two? One wired and one wireless.

OP
S

StarManta

kjellquist: that's nearly identical to the setup i'm running on now and I see all the machines here just fine.

OP
K

kjellquist

tx...I thought it would be OK...thanks for backup.

iPod shipped a few hours ago...so psyched.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.