Comatose iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I put my iMac to sleep last night and this morning, no matter what I've done, it is in a deep coma.

I've tried:

Tapping Power button once.
Force shutdown.
Pressing Apple S while jiggling mouse.
Jiggled mouse.
Tapped numerous keys.
Powered off and moved iMac to another room.
Unplugged all unnecessary peripherals.

Does this look like my iMac is off to the Apple store again???

Already had new Logic Board and Screen on a 8mth old iMac G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Interesting, does the light (the light that looks like the imac is breathing) on the whole time?

OP
N
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
Interesting, does the light (the light that looks like the imac is breathing) on the whole time?

Hi PowerBookG4, thanks for your post.

Yep, the light is on and pulsing. If I tap the PowerButton the HD starts up and the light goes off, then returns to breathing mode, and nothing but a black screen stares at me.

Just then when I was trying to revive it for the umpteenth time without luck,I held the PowerButton for 4secs to force it to power down, the fan went mental and made such a noise so I held the PowerButton for another 4secs and it shutdown properly.

I need my iMac daily and the AppleStore take weeks to fix it. The withdrawal symptoms are not a pretty sight! And my PC is no iMac G5 either!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The computer only acts funny when putting it to sleep? Or does it have any symptoms when its awake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
force restart?

openapple-control-powerbutton simoultaneusly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
last resort: unplug, wait 5 minutes, turn back on.....it is the 'force re-start for crazy people'

-chris

Reaction score
coach_z said:
last resort: unplug, wait 5 minutes, turn back on.....it is the 'force re-start for crazy people'

-chris

I think he's tried that already

-"Powered off and moved iMac to another room."

That's really weird that it just won't turn on anymore, maybe the screen went bad? Do you hear any sounds? Does it make the start-up chime at all?

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for your posts PowerBookG4, macAttack, coach_z and eon,

I can't get it to boot at all, I've tried all your suggestions and all I get is a slight whirring sound near the Disc Drive Slot and the sound of the fan starting. The whirring sound quits after about 3 secs and the powerlight either pulses or doesn't come on at all.

Prior to this I had no problemos at all with putting it to sleep or waking it up.

I did have a major problem 3 days ago which has since been rectified.

X11 (needed before OpenOffice.Org will launch) malfunctioned and even when reinstalled from my Tiger disc still refused to work.

My iMac continued functioning throughout this, I just couldn't finish the doc I was creating using OOo.

OP
N
Reaction score
macAttack said:
force restart?

openapple-control-powerbutton simoultaneusly...

What do you mean by openapple?

I tried option-apple-control-powerbutton simultaneously and this is what happened:

The iMac was on but nothing was working, no display, no light on bottom right of panel, slight fan sound and maybe whirring, then I pressed the above combo option-apple-control-powerbutton....and it put the iMac to sleep with the pulsing light.

I tried to wake it up but still nothing???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
sorry, by open apple i mean the button to the direct left of the spacebar. Sounds like your computer could be completely dead, be it power supply (unlikely) motherboard (perhaps) hard drive (maybe) and possibly many other things...

OP
N
Reaction score
macAttack said:
sorry, by open apple i mean the button to the direct left of the spacebar. Sounds like your computer could be completely dead, be it power supply (unlikely) motherboard (perhaps) hard drive (maybe) and possibly many other things...

Thanks macAttack, I just dropped my iMac off for repair. They mentioned faulty backlight initially but my main concern is how long they'll have it for.....I'm missing it already! :eek:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Keep us posted on it if you would. You sure have had a lot of problems in a short time. I have an iMac G5 2.1 and so far solid. Maybe you got a defective machine. I am sure they will take care of it for you.

I would really miss mine if it was gone.

OP
N
Reaction score
Will do dtravis7.

My 1 year warranty expires at the end of Oct and I really need the AppleCare Extended Warranty.

The only thing is that I'm cash strapped with a huge winter power bill just in.

I'll have to pay it off as the way my machine has been going I'd be insane not to protect my asset!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.