Safari AND Firefox running slow

5litreLX

My Powerbook is running osX 10.4.7. and Safari 2.0.4(419.3). I just installed the latest update of Firefox. They are both running so incredibly slow that I have to post this on my PC. The Powerbook and PC (Gateway laptop) run off the same wireless Linksys router connected to a PC desktop.

This problem just started about 2 weeks ago. Before that the Mac was fast. I searched this forum and only found questions about the OSX running slow. And the answers I did find on this and other sites all say the same thing, 'clear history, cookies, icons folder, and so-on. I installed SafariSpeed and that helps a little but only after I've already visited the site. On first load it is still unbearably slow.

So, could this be a problem between the router and my Powerbook? Like I said, the Gateway is fast and Firefox runs great off the same router.

Sorry for the long read, and thanks for any input. This is really driving me nuts ! I would rather be using the MAC!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
Repair your disk premissions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you say SLOW are you talking about the loading speed of sites you visit? How much slower is the Mac Vs the PC. A minute? Seconds?

OP

5litreLX

dtravis7 said:
When you say SLOW are you talking about the loading speed of sites you visit? How much slower is the Mac Vs the PC. A minute? Seconds?

Yeah, the loading speed. It is/was about 30 sec slower where the PC was pretty much instant. I just did the disk permissions and that seemed to help both browsers. Still isn't quite as fast as it used to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Try getting rid of firefox, does that speed up safari?

OP

5litreLX

Well it turns out it actually isn't faster since repairing the disk permissions... at first it seemed to help a little but I jumped the gun.

I don't actually have Firefox installed, I just open the installer, and run it off the icon (when it tells you to drag it to Apps folder) then I eject Firefox when I'm done. So, technically, I don't think it's installed.

I'm really starting to think this has more to do with my Airport Extreme. Does anybody know of any tricks with them? All the other computers in my house load the internet at normal speeds, and at school my Mac is just as slow.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you think it might be the Wireless, can you hook your Mac up with a Cat-5 cable direct and see if it speeds up at all? That would tell you if it was the Airport or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Whenever there are speed problems with a wireless setup, the first thing you should do is to powercycle your setup.
If you aren't sure how to do this or even what it is, do a search on the forum as there are quite a few threads that explain it.
:black:

OP

5litreLX

dtravis7 said:
If you think it might be the Wireless, can you hook your Mac up with a Cat-5 cable direct and see if it speeds up at all? That would tell you if it was the Airport or not.

o.k. I hooked it up directly with cat5 cable and it is still slow. Are there other tweeks for Safari that might work? Did anybody else ever have problems with Safari running slow? What worked for you?

I will search the powercycle thingy too...

OP

5litreLX

Just a quick update, It is still running terribly slow and I even tried Opera which proceeded to crash. Could it be the computer itself? Sometimes Finder seems to lag a little. Is there something comparable to defragging on the mac?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5litreLX said:
Just a quick update, It is still running terribly slow and I even tried Opera which proceeded to crash. Could it be the computer itself? Sometimes Finder seems to lag a little. Is there something comparable to defragging on the mac?

Opera 9? I use it all the time and it's very stable. Something is wrong somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Open up activity monitor and see what your memory and processor usage is saying

OP

5litreLX

dtravis7 said:
Opera 9? I use it all the time and it's very stable. Something is wrong somewhere.

Actually I was running Opera 6, but have since downloaded 9.01. It seems to be a lot faster. I also downloaded that little Stay Secure browser widget. it says Safari is currently more vulnerable than IE. Does Opera offer a Bookmarks Bar like Safari? Man, I really liked Safari too. My favorite browser so far. I might be able to get used to Opera though, especially if it continues to run fast.

OP

5litreLX

Just wanted to update this post. Turns out it was my wireless router. I had a Linksys WRT54G which I had problems with in the past. I tried to do a firmware upgrade and sure enough it completely locked it up. I called Linksys and they determined the router was shot. So I bought a Belkin Pre N (pn# F5D8230-4) and WOW! What a difference! Now I can enjoy Safari again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, OS 10.5.8, 1 G RAM
I read with interest this exchange about the SLOW Safari.

I'm a bit of a Newbie here and was soooo looking forward to having found the solution. But alas, not so.

I have 3 computers on a LAN. All are on either OSX 10.4.8 or 10.4.7

One computer, a Mac mini, running 10.4.7, Safari and Firefox are not only SLOW, but movement is next to non-existant. Firefox
Network shows all connections fine (all green),
have 'repaired permissions',
have 'repaired disk' using Disk Utility from Start Up CD,
have changed DNS numbers to 4.2.2.1 etc and .......
have let it 'stew' for 6 days. Plugged in but NOT turned on.
Still nada.
So..... have looked at my Activity Monitor and checked its' ranges against the other 2 computers we have, a 20" G5 iMac and a 15" PowerBook G4.
Only difference is it also is running (partitioning?) for Snes9x 1.43 release. I don't know what this is, I believe my son calls it an 'emulator'. Yikes!

Any help, ideas, words of wisdom (or at least comfort) will be apreciated. LOL

OP
C

coloradobob

Think about it .... do you really need chinese instructions for a xerox printer on your machine ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, OS 10.5.8, 1 G RAM
coloradobob said:
Think about it .... do you really need chinese instructions for a xerox printer on your machine ....

Are you suggesting the Slow Safari thingy might be a lack of space problem?
I'll give it a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.