MacBook: New vs. Refurb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I am soon going to be purchasing a white 2.0ghz macbook, and i can purchase it with my sisters university discount, or i can save $100 over that discount and buy refurbed. is there really any difference between the two? does it look used in any way? so should i buy new or refurbed?

M

menace3054

im not sure because ive never bought a refurb, but to me, personally, the 100$ is worth the feeling of knowing its brand new, im the first one who used it. the computer is so new that you need to wonder why it was returned to apple in the first place, it may have been a straight return or it could have been a repair. who knows, it might moo on you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Refurbs from Apple are like new, just can't be sold as new. I've gotten 2 Mac mini refurbished from Apple that show absolutely no signs of wear or defect. I'd trust Apple before ANYONE else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
deus_ex_machina said:
Refurbs from Apple are like new, just can't be sold as new. I've gotten 2 Mac mini refurbished from Apple that show absolutely no signs of wear or defect. I'd trust Apple before ANYONE else.
Deus_es_machine is probably right, but I agree with Menace's opinion on this one. I would rather spend the $100 to have a brand spankin' new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Yeah and that new macbook smell is...heavenly.

Reaction score
My brother and I both have refurb MacBook Pros, they look just like new. I wouldn't buy new over refurb unless I needed a build to order option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
well consider this. With the university discount its only 100 dollars more.... AND YOU GET A FREE IPOD NANO! I would go new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16GHz C2D, 160gb 5400rpm HD, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
good point^^

I am also considering refurb vs. brand new.

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a refurb on a bet , most of these have been sent back because of heating problems and other problems. To try to save 100$ is crazy. Some they fix, some they don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
apples refurbs are computers with malfuncitons sent back. apple ships out a new computer, and fixes the old one. Swaps motherboards, ram, displays...w/e is needed. Then they are sold as refurbs, even though they are exactly like new computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
macattack basically hit that one on the head but i would suggest you get the propper wording of all of the refurb informatin on the top of the apple refurb stores website
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Even though I own an iMac it was refurbed and i have had no issues with it.

Reaction score
Since you get the same warranty on a refurbished as you do on a new computer, why not just go with the refurb? And you get a free nano with a refurb, just like with a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
J.LaFrance said:
Since you get the same warranty on a refurbished as you do on a new computer, why not just go with the refurb? And you get a free nano with a refurb, just like with a new computer.

I would go with new, because even though it carries the same warranty, I'd rather not have to use it. Doing without my computer for repairs, even for a few days, would be very difficult. For me, $100 more is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
buying a refurb does not mean "having to fix my computer all the time" these computers are exactly the same as apples new products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
okay since no one appears to be going and doing 18 seconds of research on their own i will post it here for everyone to read:
Apple Certified Refurbished Products

Frequently Asked Questions:

(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?
Substantial savings
A fully functional unit with complete documentation
The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support.

For your convenience, we have placed the appropriate AppleCare Protection Plan at the bottom of each product collection on the Apple Certified Refurbished products page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
coach_z said:
okay since no one appears to be going and doing 18 seconds of research on their own i will post it here for everyone to read:
Ok, so after spending 18 seconds reading the policy, I discovered that Apple's definition of refurbished is the same as every other company's definition of refurbished. Imagine that.

In other words, refurbished products are pre-owned, and may or may not have been returned for technical issues. The products are then repaired if necessary, inspected, cleaned, repackaged, and resold.

They are sold for a discounted price, because it is NOT the same as buying the product new. If it were the same, they would charge the same price. I'm not saying anything bad about people who buy refurbished products, and I'm not saying you own an inferior product. All I'm saying is that I feel safer owning a product that nobody else has owned before me, because I have NO idea how it was treated by the previous owner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Richie_Gecko said:
All I'm saying is that I feel safer owning a product that nobody else has owned before me, because I have NO idea how it was treated by the previous owner.

so do you think that recieving a refurb book and a brand new book that go through the same service inspections for quality insurance that one is going to be better than the other????
-chris

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
i read someone said that u can still get a free nano with a refurb, but this is definately not true. i just thought id clear that up. and also after reading all your helpful replies id like to point out that if theyre getting in these macbooks that are being refurbished that means id have a chance of getting a defective new macbook.

thanks all, please keep posting, im still not sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
coach_z said:
so do you think that recieving a refurb book and a brand new book that go through the same service inspections for quality insurance that one is going to be better than the other????
-chris
Yes, I do. My reasoning being that you, and Apple for that matter, have absolutely no idea how the previous owner treated the laptop. Apple will replace and/or fix anything they find wrong with the laptop, but the key word is "find". It is possible that the previous owner caused damage that will not present itself until later in the computer's life, which is exactly why I would rather spend the extra $100 to buy it new.

By the way, who the **** gives people negative reputation points because they disagree with someone's opinion? My previous response did NOT warrant negative reputation points. I was not abusive to anyone, I was simply stating my opinion. If you disagree with it, fine. Just don't be a **** baby about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.