MacBook: New vs. Refurb

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
i agree with gecko about how the previous owner might have treated it horribly, but i doubt many ppl would pay over $1000 for a computer and then just kick it down the street

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Richie_Gecko said:
All I'm saying is that I feel safer owning a product that nobody else has owned before me, because I have NO idea how it was treated by the previous owner.

I agree with you here, especially since laptops still have mechanical components such as hard drives and cd roms drives that when abused wont show any sign of damage on the exterior. Damage also wont show up at time of inspection by apple as they dont exactly take apart the components of the laptop they simply check if they are in working order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
I agree wtih a few above me. A refurb'd machine MAY be exactly the same as a brand new one, but that extra $100 if anything is good for my own piece of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I've been burned with some refurbed stuff in the past. However when I bought my iMac i figured that with the Apple Care and a solid name like Apple I couldn't go wrong. With that said I was also prepared for it to crap out on me the next day. Just because like Richie said, you never know who owned it before or what they did with it. You can only hope they returned it to get something better or didn't like the product. Almost two months later the iMac is still good to go. I understand that to save $100-200 dollars it may not be worth it but i put the $200 i saved and put it towards the Apple Care, thus ensuring a solid machine for 3 years.

Just my 2 cents :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
couldn't disagree more.

how do we know that the computer hasn't been mistreated?

we don't...what we do know is that apple has checked over everything themselves, and replaced the necessary parts. the internal parts are the exact same as on a new computer.

if its the same as a new product why don't they sell if for new?

they can't! its illegal! how angry would you be if you bought a brand new computer and found out it was refubished.

these computers are quality...why buy something new when you can buy the same exact thing cheaper?

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that Apple's refurb store has been looking pretty thin lately? Seems to be all iPods...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am currently working very hard in order to prove you all wrong because apple refurb products ARE just as good as their regular retail
-chris

ps. person who gave me this negative rep, "People are posting their opinions - its called a Forum" for posting in thihs thread i would like to state that yes this is a forums and i too was stating my opinion and am very positive that refurb units are going to be just as good as any new unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
coach_z said:
i am currently working very hard in order to prove you all wrong because apple refurb products ARE just as good as their regular retail
-chris
Hmm...I don't really see how you're going to prove this. That is unless you have access to some statistical data or something.

M

menace3054

NikBhat said:
I agree wtih a few above me. A refurb'd machine MAY be exactly the same as a brand new one, but that extra $100 if anything is good for my own piece of mind.

definately worth the piece of mind. they really should give more of a discount for refurb products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Richie_Gecko said:
Hmm...I don't really see how you're going to prove this. That is unless you have access to some statistical data or something.

well you are all trying to prove me wrong with no statistical data or any sort of proof at all so i am trying to actually find something in order to end this converasation.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
coach_z said:
well you are all trying to prove me wrong with no statistical data or any sort of proof at all so i am trying to actually find something in order to end this converasation.
-chris
I'm not really trying to prove you or anybody else wrong I'm just saying that I would personally rather buy a new computer than a refurbished one. That's all.

If you're cool with buying refurbished products, that's fine. It's your opinion, which you are completely entitled to. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I know people who have worked for Apple. They've all said the same thing: refurbs are practically new.

The ONLY difference is that something was defective, which Apple then replaced, and then re-tested the entire computer. This means that in addition to the rigorous testing that your new computer is already put through, it has to pass it again.

Not only that, but you're given the exact same warranty, boxes, manuals, cables, and software you get from any other new Mac.

Unless you want the iPod nano, I'd pick up the refurb.

I realize that yes, refurbs do have a certain stigma when looked at as "used", but Apple's warranty policy is pretty cut an dry: they only take it back if it's defective. So if the computer is significantly damaged by the previous owner, chances are Apple won't take it back.

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks to tough to die, and thanks to every1 else. it seems some are getting a little heated over this so lets drop it. im gonna get the new macbook for the nano, so my sister can have it. thanks again all!!!

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i bought the new one and it worked great...for the first day and a half. Midday thursday (purchased on wedsnesday) the internal speakers stopped working (the computer doesnt even show that theres any speakers) and when i plug in externals, it works...but when i unplug theres a kernal panic. i just find it ironic that ppl told me to go new b/c the refurb will have problems, but the new one had a problem too. dont worry, im not turned off of apples now, im taking it up to the store i bought it from tmrrw to see if i can get a new one. lets hope the replace it. if that doesnt happen ill just have to send it in to applecare, but i really dont want to have to go a week and a half without my awesome, awesome macbook. just thought id let u guys kno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Congradulations on the purchase, hope it gets all fixed. I would hate to have to be without my new product for several days, especially a technological product, the first days are always the most fun.

Just on the subject of new vs. refurbed, I feel its about your way of thinking. I generally prefer new things because im never keen on knowing someone else was using it thats just how I think. Thats why I buy a lot of books. though DVDs I do not mind getting 2nd hand (thought I normally put it in a new case :/). Just my mind would be constantly worrying it has some fault from the last owner :(. Which is probably a counter productive attitude because you loose out on the bargains.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
CarlConti08 said:
Well i bought the new one and it worked great...for the first day and a half. Midday thursday (purchased on wedsnesday) the internal speakers stopped working (the computer doesnt even show that theres any speakers) and when i plug in externals, it works...but when i unplug theres a kernal panic. i just find it ironic that ppl told me to go new b/c the refurb will have problems, but the new one had a problem too. dont worry, im not turned off of apples now, im taking it up to the store i bought it from tmrrw to see if i can get a new one. lets hope the replace it. if that doesnt happen ill just have to send it in to applecare, but i really dont want to have to go a week and a half without my awesome, awesome macbook. just thought id let u guys kno

Man, that sucks dude. Good luck getting if fixed/replaced.

Keep this in mind. If they do replace it, they'll fix it up and sell it to some other dude as a refurb ;)

Reaction score
I'm loving my refurbed macbook. Absolutely NO issues in the week i've owned it.

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well they did replace it pretty willingly. i just had to make an appointment with a genius, they checked it, booted it up with an external HDD w/ OS X to make sure it wasnt the hard drive. turned out the macbook got confused and thought external speakers were plugges in all the time. not only that it frgt that it had internal speakers. after they made sure the problem was authentic and not fixable, the genius went in back, got a new one, slapped a yellow defect sticker on my old one and gave me a brand spanking new macbook.

How that for service?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
CarlConti08 said:
** Refrencing your Sig**

To be honest I did not read the thread, but you sig is way against the forum rules, pleae read the rules and then change your sig to fit the guidelines. Remember not everybody has broadband, It will take a while for other people to load that, and makes the forums look bad, and take longer to scroll.

(link to rules in my sig)

Thank you in advanced for helping keep our forums clean, and following the rest of the rules from this point forward.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.