superdrive spits out DVD-Rs

V

vulpixel

I bought a MacBook Pro a month or two ago, and it's been great at burning and reading CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and Audio CDs. I just bought a spool of Sony DVD-Rs, and every time I insert any one of the discs it makes some whirring sounds a few times, and then spits it out, like it's sneezing. My mac's capable of reading and writing DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, DVD+Rs, and DVD+RWs, so why is it sneezing out my DVD-Rs?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do you have this problem with other brands of media?

OP
V

vulpixel

This is my first time trying to burn DVDs, so I haven't used any other brand. I've always used Sony CD-Rs and CD-RWs and never had a problem. DVD videos work fine too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It sounds like you have a combo drive, even though thats impossible because you have the macbook pro... call apple it seams to be a hardware problem.

But first you can try the following things:
reset pmu
zap pram
repair permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It could just be a bad batch of blanks, I've seen weirder things happen with blank media before...

Buy a single different brand blank disc and see if that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Sony doesnt make the best disks, could just be a compatibility issue, try some other media first. Not all drives can read / right all media/ companies disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
happens to me on occasion and what do i do? i keep reinserting the disk until it is accepted. i do give up after about 4 attempts

i suggest that once you are out of the sony disks you go for something better, i use memorex, people say memorex is bad but i have only had 3 bad disks and 3 misburns which were actually hardware/software errors and they work in every drive i have ever tried

-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the whole Memorex thing, I had a lot of problems with some of the older 4x Memorex's. After that spindle was gone I tried some 8x Memorex and not a problem. I have had very good luck with Verbatim's also.

OP
V

vulpixel

OK, I bought some Apple DVD-Rs. I figured, if those don't work, nothing will. They seem to be working. The Mac OS recognized the disc and didn't spit it out, and on Windows XP (I've got both on my mac) I burned one disc with Nero, which worked out good, except for some reason it couldn't verify the data on the disc. I reinserted the disc once it was done to read it, and it spit it out once or twice. It read it eventually, and all the files were good.

And now for something slightly unrelated... When I went back to CompUSA to buy different DVD-Rs, I told an employee about my problem, and she said Macs can only use their brand of DVDs for writing. Errr... I'm new to the Mac scene, but what she said there sounded like BS to me. From what I've read here, that doesn't seem to be the case... right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Correct. That's utter BS.

Apple's own brand of DVD-R's have got to be the biggest rip off ever.
Sorry, but they really are.

If you haven't opened them, I'd take them back. If you have - well they do look kind of nice.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have have problem in the past with Memorex, so I don't use any of there products, but that is me. I tend to use what ever is on sale from the following:

Imation
Verbatim
TDK

I have never had a problem, only the ones I have created (user error).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Ritek i beleive is the company that makes the best DVD'rs at the moment. just for compatiiity and reliability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I use memorex DVD-R and CD-R and i never had one spit out. My friend gave me some Sony DVD-RW to use and some of them were spit out. Altough it did accept some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Mathiau said:
Sony doesnt make the best disks, could just be a compatibility issue, try some other media first. Not all drives can read / right all media/ companies disks.

This right here is the truth. Try the TDK brands. I've been using that for a while and they work great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.